RE: [7_mm_modelling] Greetings

  • Bob & Sheila Alderman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2003
      Martin
      I've spent the holiday period completing a number of outstanding projects*.
      Several of which do not relate to the layout project in any way, but should
      guest on several other railways.
      I do find repair and overhaul particularly trying. Once a model is finished
      that should be the end of it! But then they get played with. I do not enjoy
      going back to what I had considered a finished model.
      No problems with domestic changes so available space remains. The catch-up
      with projects are not based on a premonition either.
      Conversely my wife bought me a digital camera for Christmas. Happily taking
      pictures with it. I've been down on the Dorset coast today trying it out -
      landscape and macro. For the moment I can't find the right button to
      download the pictures to the pc! When I achieve that likewise I will provide
      more pictures to the Group. Another reason for the camera is to record a
      project in hand and get some decent pictures at the stage it is at. Lately
      I've taken some absolute snorters on the SLR with flash. Trouble is by the
      time you've had the film processed the project is further along and the
      there is no way of going back to correcting duff pictures. The digital
      should enable a good picture at the time - operator excepted!
      All the best for the New Year.
      Bob

      * Finished: the Super D in construction since 1999, the Sidelines coach
      started about 1998, the Andy Duncan excavator started about 2001, and the
      PMK single bolster pair started early 2003.
      I think that all these were only a day or so from completion when I stopped
      work on them. The Super D being the exception as there has been about two
      weeks work. Notwithstanding they all will need finish painting, but he build
      is done.

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2003
        Martin (<martin@...>), you wrote

        > I have found my modelling has become stuck in a rut and in reality is no
        longer fulfilling.

        That's exactly how I felt some 10 years ago when I decided to model the
        current scene. It's only a suggestion but have you considered it? One
        advantage is that it gives you a reason for leisure travel on the
        prototype - most enjoyable with the Anglia day rover for £9.00. Another
        good reason at the present time is that things are about to change in the
        eastern counties with the letting of the Greater Anglia franchise to
        National Express. From April 2004 FGE and Anglia will not exist. Thirdly
        you could equip all your new stock with DCC a la Brian Daniels. A good time
        to consider starting?

        > I still think 7mm has it all but the possibility of having to downsize
        houses in the next 3 years or so makes me reluctant to start a new project
        in the fear that it might all be wasted when I move. So ambitions of
        mainline runs are having to be curtailed.

        So? Forget mainline ambitions. What about the locomotive yard adjacent to
        Ipswich Station?

        I am considering going to West Bergholt on Saturday although my final
        decision will depend on the weather, etc. If you are interested I would be
        delighted to chat to you about it - not that I don't want to chat anyway,
        you understand ;-). I am also hosting a MAGOG meeting at my house tomorrow
        night (30th) and you are most welcome to come along; e-mail me off list if
        you are interested.

        Chris Turnbull