My ideas on where to start

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20, 2009
      Hi Folks

      I'd like to suggest the following as a starting point for this piece of
      work:

      Can we each write a small section on the Wiki which summarises how we
      see the role of the analyst changing (and staying the same?) in Agile
      projects. Links to blogs and articles we've written and perspectives
      we respect could also be useful.

      Once we have these perspectives we could try to find a (hopefully)
      common viewpoint and then provide linkages into the BABOK sections where
      we feel Agile methods will change the content, and identify if we feel
      the BABOK needs new sections or topics.

      How does this work as a way forward?

      Cheers

      Shane
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 20, 2009
        Hi Shane

        Thank you for the suggestion. If you do not mind, we will revisit it in a week or so.

        For the next week or so we want to focus on getting the operational aspects up and running, and get a core group set up with access to the yahoo list and the wiki.

        That way everyone will be in from the start.  The core group will bre set up as moderators of the yahoo group.

        I am hoping to convince Ellen Gottenstein to facilitate the early collaboration ( just so I can see her in action ).

        Note to all. I've invited people I knew. Are there any people we should also invite. I'm looking for experienced BAs with at least a couple of years Agile experience.

        Regards

        Chris

        Sent from my iPhone

      • ellen@ebgconsulting.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 21, 2009
          Hi All:
          ellen (gottesdiener) here -- nice try chris but you did a good job on my
          name, but no worries, it's a killer name!). I am writing from Aizu, Japan,
          having been just in Osaka and Tokyo on a biz trip, some speaking, book
          tour including a talk to the IIBA-Japan chapter where their was a keen
          interest in facilitated techniques and agile.

          thanks all for joining in; i am a tad 'disabled' from being able to
          contribute over the next several weeks -- i'll be here through the end of
          the week then away on a client engagement next week and some of the
          following week -- essentially not back in my office till oct 8th.

          i am trying to follow the emails via limited access, and am grateful to
          you chris for getting this going and to you dennis for setting up the wiki
          and yahoo group. thank you!

          thanks chris for your faith in me as 'facilitator', although online
          facilitation of a wiki is a bit different from real time facilitation ;-)

          i hope to get some insight from the folks who set up the agile/PM wiki,
          ask them for their retrospective comments so we can leverage their
          successes and mitigate their regrets in our efforts here on the agile ba
          group and wiki.

          that said, with my time deficient over the next several weeks, i think it
          would be useful to hear how folks would prefer to proceed and gather this
          info. for example, Shane made some very useful suggestions.

          how would others suggest we proceed?

          all the best, and looking forward to collaborating with you'all on this
          important work for agile/ba/iiba...

          ~ ellen

          > Hi Shane
          >
          > Thank you for the suggestion. If you do not mind, we will revisit it
          > in a week or so.
          >
          > For the next week or so we want to focus on getting the operational
          > aspects up and running, and get a core group set up with access to the
          > yahoo list and the wiki.
          >
          > That way everyone will be in from the start. The core group will bre
          > set up as moderators of the yahoo group.
          >
          > I am hoping to convince Ellen Gottenstein to facilitate the early
          > collaboration ( just so I can see her in action ).
          >
          > Note to all. I've invited people I knew. Are there any people we
          > should also invite. I'm looking for experienced BAs with at least a
          > couple of years Agile experience.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Chris
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On 21 Sep 2009, at 05:02, "Shane" <shaneh@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Hi Folks
          >>
          >> I'd like to suggest the following as a starting point for this piece
          >> of
          >> work:
          >>
          >> Can we each write a small section on the Wiki which summarises how we
          >> see the role of the analyst changing (and staying the same?) in Agile
          >> projects. Links to blogs and articles we've written and perspectives
          >> we respect could also be useful.
          >>
          >> Once we have these perspectives we could try to find a (hopefully)
          >> common viewpoint and then provide linkages into the BABOK sections
          >> where
          >> we feel Agile methods will change the content, and identify if we feel
          >> the BABOK needs new sections or topics.
          >>
          >> How does this work as a way forward?
          >>
          >> Cheers
          >>
          >> Shane

        • greyskinnedboy
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 26, 2009
            H Ellen,

            It will be great to get insights from agile PM group. What is the timeline on that?

            Although I'm sure we're all really keen to get going on this, Chris is right that we need to have some kind of framework in place (however loose that is). So, let's not blow the starting whistle until we've got all the forwards, backs, and coaches together.

            In principle, I have no issue waiting until 8th October before getting started in earnest. If we can in the meantime get chatting amongst ourselves to understand a little of what makes us each tick, that will definitely help down the line. We can get ready in the changing rooms.

            If it's going to take longer than 8th October to get all these things in place, then it might be useful to get something going like Shane suggested -- getting us all to nail our own colours to the mast -- i.e. what we think being a BA in an agile context means. We could start warming up on the sidelines (OK, enough with the rugby allusions, already)

            Cheers,
            David.
          • Chris Matts
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 27, 2009
              Hi shane

              We've given them about a week to sign up so hopefully those who are passionate are on board now.

              Lets get going. I suggest we start with your suggestion but as a discussion on the group rather than on the wiki. I find wikis are great for knowledge stores but less good for discussions.

              Although one end point is the BABOK, I would prefer if the Agile wiki had the aim of becoming "A comprehensive knowledge base for anyone interested in Business Analysis and Requirements in Agile"..... or something similar ( please discuss etc.)  David and the IIBA team will filter what they want for the BABOK

              Chris

              --
              Regards

              Chris Matts