Mars-la-Tour Battle Mat

  • davidraybin
    Message 1 of 16 , 14 Apr

      HERE are 2 photos of FPW Mars La Tour battle mats/ These are to fit on a  6  X 12 foot convention game table in June . Hills will go under the mats. We will play this with the 28mm figures and the ranges and movements  adjusted upward. For example,. Needlegun goes from 6"  to 8 " range.

      https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-KsSx82v/0/X5/i-KsSx82v-X5.jpg

      https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-fw2XmZm/0/X5/i-fw2XmZm-X5.jpg

    • andrew.fuller48
      Message 2 of 16 , 15 Apr
        Wow, that is impressive. It looks remarkably like a Cigar Box design. Really wouldn't mind a 6'x4' version of that.
      • Toxicpixie
        Message 3 of 16 , 15 Apr
          That's cracking!

          Where'd you get the image done, or is it a "someone in the group is an artist" job :)

          Nathan

          Sent from my iPhone
        • davidraybin
          Message 4 of 16 , 15 Apr
            These are indeed Cigar Box Mats. I  went a little  crazy to accommodate my 28mm troops requiring longer ranges etc. i think most folks could use a  single mat. Here is an extensive review.

          • Nicholas Murray
            Message 5 of 16 , 15 Apr
              That is splendid.

              Nick Murray

              Message 6 of 16 , 16 Apr
                Cigar Box Mats eh? They look much better on your photos than they do in the promo piccies!

                Still too much for my pocket, sadly.

                How are they for hang, over hill forms or similar?

                Nathan

                Sent from my iPhone
              • andrew.fuller48
                Message 7 of 16 , 16 Apr
                  If they are anything like my fleece (lime green faux mink from Amazon - much bigger than 6'x4') they they will fall over hill structures beautifully. Unfortunately I still cannot work out how to post photos on this particular forum.
                • Doctor Phalanx
                  Message 8 of 16 , 16 Apr

                    Andrew

                    Have you treated it in some way to tone down the lime green?

                    Richard

                    On Sun, 16 Apr 2017, 13:03 andrew.fuller48@... [BBB_wargames], <BBB_wargames@...> wrote:

                    If they are anything like my fleece (lime green faux mink from Amazon - much bigger than 6'x4') they they will fall over hill structures beautifully. Unfortunately I still cannot work out how to post photos on this particular forum.

                  • david blanchard
                    Message 9 of 16 , 16 Apr
                      Usually yahoo strips off attached pictures. You need to upload them to tje group page in yahoo.

                      David

                      Message 10 of 16 , 16 Apr
                        Here are some more  photos and a how-to-suggestion. This is a  huge project my son and I do but once a  year. The rest of the time we have more modest-sized games.

                      • andrew.fuller48
                        Message 11 of 16 , 16 Apr
                          Richard,
                                         I have used two acrylic sprays on it, simply by hanging it over the washing line on a sunny day. I used a sand colour and a darker green and sprayed these randomly. This gives a pretty good result when field and forest templates are added. The sand colour has an orangey hue, similar to the colour above the largest wooded area in the Mars la Tour mat, so I am on the lookout now for a more sandy buff spray to add another shade to the mat.

                          Incidentally the faux mink throw has longer tufts on one side than the other. At present I use the short side, which works very well for 2mm to 15mm figures. However, I also do Saga and Dux Bellorum in 28mm for which I intend to use the longer side.
                        • Doctor Phalanx
                          Message 12 of 16 , 16 Apr

                            Andrew

                            Thanks for filling me in on that - the neighbours must have thought you were doing a Jackson Pollock!

                            Has the paint made the cloth stiff or can you still fold it?

                            Richard

                            Message 13 of 16 , 16 Apr
                              I have posted a couple of photos of my faux mink in action  - BBB FPW in 6mm.
                              Photos are in the AJs photos stream.
                            • andrew.fuller48
                              Message 14 of 16 , 16 Apr
                                The spray doesn't make the cloth very stiff as it tends to cling to individual stands with green still showing through so that the cloth still falls over hills.
                              • Doctor Phalanx
                                Message 15 of 16 , 17 Apr

                                  Very good effect.

                                  On Mon, 17 Apr 2017, 07:50 andrew.fuller48@... [BBB_wargames], <BBB_wargames@...> wrote:

                                  I have posted a couple of photos of my faux mink in action  - BBB FPW in 6mm.

                                  Photos are in the AJs photos stream.
                                • dunsters2000
                                  Message 16 of 16 , 17 Apr
                                    I use the European fields cloth from these guys for the majority of my games, including Konigkratz for which greet are photo's on the site. The cloth is heavy enough to conform nicely over hills and after a couple of minutes you forget some of the 'odd' features such as the printed trees and the stream that's going uphill and your eye just sees a rural scene. Once you add trees, hedges and roads you're eye is as confused as the guys on the day and job done 😀

                                    I've had a lot of good play out of this cloth and am considering getting another one

                                    Cheers

                                    Simon