The Alma - another Russian win

  • jadedtoxicpixie
    Message 1 of 8 , 8 Jun 05:47

      Should have posted this last week, but forgot/was busy/dog ate my homework Cheesy Crossposted from Pendraken forum.

      1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? Bloody Big Battles
      2) What armies were confronted? Prince "Steady lads" Menshikov's Crimea Russian army versus the Allied French & British under Marshall "By column I meant attack, not march!" Sant-Arnaud and Lord "who are we fighting? The French? What? I'm not deaf you know!" Raglan.
      3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? Pretty much - more so for me than the players, but running a game leads me to too many "errrrrr" moments wanting to Get It Right(tm)...
      4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? Several times in for me, couple of times for some, first for others
      5) How many players were in the game? Four plus me as umpire

      We're going to run through the Crimea campaign at my games club as and when we've a free evening; we started with the Alma last week. My PVC banner map and 2mm figures, and I've popped an order off to Irregular as it pointed up I don't have enough figures so ended up proxying some bases with a mixed bag of Austrians, Prussians, Hanoverians and Saxe Coburg Gotha's!

      The Russians took the interesting approach of completely ceding the river line and initial heights, deploying well back across the road to Sevastopol with a massive "grand battery" pointing down the road & valley to Bourloik. This gave the French a seeming head start, as deployed in march column and raced up the road, over the bridge and up the valley, whilst doing much the same but slower cross country up by Almatamak alongside the Turks.

      The French then got caught in march column & hammered by the grand battery, before deploying smoothly into line and seeking cover under the steep ridge edges, so they hunkered down and waiting for their flanking attack to get moving and for the British to arrive.

       The British... oh the British... Raglan was on fine form, most of them didn't make it over the river until four turns in, those that did raced forward, then stopped to await reinforcements as the Russians detached a couple of units Velichko's 16th Div. to lurk behind Kourgan Hill. He eventually got the Guards moving and the Light Div., and charged in. The 16th counterattacked, as did the Cossacks, getting horribly mauled (no arty support, classic close packed shambling columns against well drilled and aimed rifle fire), and then the British cavalry dove in and drove back the Cossacks but couldn't quite finish them and get back to finish off the infantry. The counter attacks had worked - they'd completely taken the British focus off actually securing the Sevastopol roads and drawn them well out of position leaving the French on their own to do the heavy lifting.

      The French had their own problems - Kiryakov's 17th Inf Div and the Hussars were getting mauled, but too late - they held the road, although battered and bruised, and subjected to a terrible flank attack from the Turks , of all people! The only troops on the field worse than the Russians, they shambling in late with a sudden burst of resolve, caught the disorganised Russian Hussars and two infantry units one after another (including a vicious break through exploitation!) and turned the Russian left & centre from holding well to "dude, where's my Division?"  whilst the French struggled up the ridge lines into musketry and cannon fire! But the Russian reserves were still holding against everything the French threw at them and there was no time to clear them off.

      It had been too little, too late - as the afternoon drew to a close Menshikov was able to withdraw his battered command & trains into the interior whilst the French & British struggled for several days to restore order to their mess of units and count the butchers bill. It had ended quite, quite badly - for everyone.

      One more turn would probably have seen the Russians shattered, but not convinced the Allies would have been able to actually clear the road off in time even so; but then they might have won if the British had kept focus let alone avoided such awful, disjointed movement!

      Nathan

    • bbbchrisp
      Message 2 of 8 , 8 Jun 06:58
        Thanks for a highly amusing AAR! Were your players as entertained as I was?

        Chris
      • Alan Millicheap

          Message 4 of 8 , 8 Jun 11:46
            Nice battle report!

            Message 5 of 8 , 8 Jun 23:02
              They were Chris!

              Even Lord Raglan, who is quite chomping at the bit. Possibly to attack the real enemy under Napoleon III or maybe for a nice lie down but definitely something :)

              The two previous players liked it (the previous Russian player baggsying them immediately!), and the new chap caught on quick in tactics and rules and wants another bash (who has very little wargames experience - he's 16, and quiet, so nice to new blood in the hobby!).

              I was hoping to play again next week but due to scheduling foobars and people's summer hols we're back to D&D :/

              Nathan

              Sent from my iPhone
            • Toxicpixie
              Message 6 of 8 , 8 Jun 23:05
                Sorry Alan, no photos - I was a bit carried away in the moment, plus the proxying of bases would look a wee bit disjointed :)

                Not sure my iPhone or camera skills are quite up to 2mm, either!

                Nathan

                Sent from my iPhone
              • toxic pixie
                Message 7 of 8 , 9 Jun 00:20
                  mgh - thanks!

                  It was good fun to ref, but I'm hoping once we get a couple more games in I can actually play :D

                  Just in time for the Risorgamento...

                  Nathan
                • ktravlos
                  Message 8 of 8 , 9 Jun 08:22