Rank & File samples

  • vtsaogames
    Message 1 of 13 , 5 Aug 13:04

      Figures are cavalry in western uniform and fur cap, cavalry in traditional uniform and fez, infantry in waistcoat and fez, infantry in tunic and fez. I plan on using these for the Crimea too.

      I have not yet trimmed flash - there isn't much. Infantry has only one pose per pack but looks sturdy. I have had problems with another manufacturer when thin ankles go - not good for figures to be used in games.

    • D
      Message 2 of 13 , 5 Aug 14:02
        Hello,

        I second the positive review of Rank and File minis.  They are solid and sturdy castings, lacking diversity of pose but their overall appearance, size and the massed effect is very, very good.   I have a large number for my Franco-Prussian War armies and companion Austrian armies.   You shouldn't be disappointed with an army of these lads at your back!

        Happy gaming
        Doug B

        On Aug 5, 2017, at 16:04, vtsaogames@... [BBB_wargames] <BBB_wargames@...> wrote:

        Figures are cavalry in western uniform and fur cap, cavalry in traditional uniform and fez, infantry in waistcoat and fez, infantry in tunic and fez. I plan on using these for the Crimea too.

        I have not yet trimmed flash - there isn't much. Infantry has only one pose per pack but looks sturdy. I have had problems with another manufacturer when thin ankles go - not good for figures to be used in games.

      • johnrohdeuk
        Message 3 of 13 , 5 Aug 16:01
          Thanks for these pictures Vincent.  I wonder, does anyone know of a UK or EU distributor?

          Cordialy,
                         John
        • andrew.fuller48
          Message 4 of 13 , 6 Aug 00:40
            I am assuming these are 15mm figures. I haven't seen Rank and File advertised in Britain for many years.
          • vtsaogames
            Message 5 of 13 , 6 Aug 05:11
              I am assuming these are 15mm figures.

              Yes, sorry I forgot to specify.
            • vtsaogames
              Message 6 of 13 , 6 Aug 16:54
                Photos of painted sample 15mm Turks are here https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/photos/photostream
                My painting is serviceable, as is my photography.
              • vtsaogames
                Message 7 of 13 , 6 Aug 16:57
                  Uniform question:
                  The infantry in fez and waistcoat is a nicer sculpt then the one in tunic. Is that uniform OK for Turkish regulars or should it be restricted to irregulars?
                  I painted the horseman in green as an irregular.
                  I do have an extra Old Glory horse that needs to be painted for the regular cavalryman.
                • ktravlos
                  Message 8 of 13 , 6 Aug 21:51
                    Both are fine for regulars. But were did you get the idea of green cavalry? Blue is the army color of the ottomans. Reular cavalry is in blue. Irregulars should not wear the fez, but turbzns or the zeibek, circassian, or efe headress. Laz would be in black.
                  • vtsaogames
                    Message 9 of 13 , 7 Aug 05:38
                      Circassian irregulars in green?

                      OK, so irregulars should be in fur caps, regular cavalry in fez?

                      Would most irregulars be in blue too?
                    • vtsaogames
                      Message 10 of 13 , 7 Aug 11:10
                        Irregulars should not wear the fez, but turbzns or the zeibek, circassian, or efe headress. Laz would be in
                        > black.

                        Irregulars should wear the fur cap? That is the only choice I have with Rank & File cavalry. Laz; are those the folks from the Black sea region who are the butt of "Polish" jokes in Turkey?
                      • ktravlos
                        Message 11 of 13 , 8 Aug 01:42
                          Hi Vincent

                          The green coat was used, from what I know, only for parade dress with some of the hamidian bashi-bouzouk units. Because Green is a holy color of Islam, taking it to battle would not be cool (this is also why Green religious standards for regiments were not taken to the field). In the field they would look more like this

                          https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/1855-till1877-bashi-bazouk-corps/

                          In general if I was doing this, I would go with fur hats for the irregulars, or would built a green-stuff turban around the fez. Colors would range but mostly earth colors, plus some blue, with hints of red and yellow.

                          A lot of them would not look that diffrent from Russian non-uniformed cossacks.

                          You can also have Cossacks
                          https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/1817-till-1857-ottoman-cossack-regiments/

                          Also see this

                          https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/1853-till-1856-ottoman-cavalry/

                          and this

                          https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/1853-till-1856-ottoman-army-uniforms/

                          The Laz are the Black Sea region folks indeed. They are deadly foes of the Pontic Greeks with the two groups sharing a lot of cultural elements but also a deep genocidal hatred. A warrior tribe.
                        • vtsaogames
                          Message 12 of 13 , 8 Aug 08:32
                            Thanks for the information.

                            I note plate BB4 in the first link shows mounted Bashi-bazouks in what looks like olive green. Guess that would be OK for some of my irregulars? Green stuff turbans is beyond me. My conversions are done with paint only.

                            So far I'm planning on some irregulars in black for the Laz and others in olive green. I'm talking about 16 irregulars (8 stands) and 16 regulars. The two samples will be used as officers - in case the scenarios give the Turks any.

                            This week we will reprise Kurudere, in part because it's easier than setting up a new scenario.
                          • MH
                            Message 13 of 13 , 9 Aug 19:49
                              Your painting looks fine to me!