Bases using 2mm blocks (Irregulars)

  • tim177772
    Message 1 of 12 , 11 Aug

      I am finally getting around to planning some 2mm BBB armies to be based on 25mm square bases.

      I am looking for recommendations as to what size blocks to use and how many on a base.

      My first thoughts are to have two bases of 10 files and 2 ranks side by side forming the front with a single base the same size forming a reserve to the first line.

      Skirmisher bases would have the same reserve block then a pair of skirmisher stands towards the front.

      First question is - do you think a pair of 10 file blocks will fit on a 25mm base

      Second question - any other suggestions?

      Thanks

      Tim.

    • wdtelford
      Message 2 of 12 , 11 Aug

        I'm in the process of doing the same. I've put 2 of the 30 man blocks (3x10) on a 25mm base, one with a flag, one without and it looks good. 3 blocks looked better, but I'm getting tired of painting armies these days.  My command bases had one 30 man base with an officer base in front. I'm playing with adding a green tent for raw units or a red tent for veteran, flags were too fragile on this scale. Skirmish bases had a 30 man base with an open order strip in front.  I think the best way is to paint some up and try them out with bluetack to see what suits you.

        all the best, Dave.

      • vtsaogames
        Message 3 of 12 , 11 Aug
          I'm playing with adding a green tent for raw units or a red tent for veteran, flags were too fragile on this
          > scale.

          Green or red stripe on rear of base? Less work, less money.
        • andrew.fuller48
          Message 4 of 12 , 13 Aug
            I bassed but my 2mm armies in lines of three bases. These days I am less happy with this approach and in future will try to give a better impression showing skirmishers, the main firing line and reserves. Obviously some bases will be purely skirmishers and pickets to show that a unit has a strong skirmisher presence.
          • toxic pixie
            Message 5 of 12 , 14 Aug
              I based my 2mm Irregular blocks on a 20mm square, one block each, leaving a strip behind where I can write on unit info.

              Having done that (to fit in with frontage from some legacy stuff from a previous project on 20mm by 15mm deep), I then regretted it and wished I'd done as Dave did - at least a 25mm square, using multiple blocks to show formed, skirmish, command better. The small bases work fine on table, and it's cheap as chips to put the armies together, but - it just doesn't look so good and "units that look like units" would give the scale of the game a much better visual representation.

              As others have commented re:troops following up in close combat, each of those bases is hundreds if not thousands of men, and multiple sets of figures in formation helps drive that home.

              Link to photo's of my original stuff here, on 20mm by 15mm bases - https://www.facebook.com/pg/jtppainting/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1702243366692127

              Nathan
            • andrew.fuller48
              Message 6 of 12 , 14 Aug
                Nice to see a French army in 2mm. My next attempt will be an 1866 Austrian army (in white, so that it stands out on the table) based up in storm columns. Still sussing that out as it seems to have been a universal formation at the start of the conflict, but those units who had already fought the Prussians may have adopted a more dispersed formation at Koniggratz. Apparently about half the army had not been in contact with the enemy at that stage, so still used the storm columns.
              • Alan Millicheap
                Message 7 of 12 , 15 Aug
                  Nice looking armies Nathan

                  Message 8 of 12 , 15 Aug

                    If I have it right I've just added some photos of a WIP Prussian army to do Ligny.

                    Light cav are two open order irregular strips, heavies are three close order.

                    Hopefully the infantry markers are obvious.

                    Still thinking whether to have the unit strips on the back of command bases. If not, the space will allow for other markers on veteran, green etc.  Or may go with previous suggestion of painting the back edge green or red.

                    I may also reduce the artillery to two units per base, three is a bit packed.

                    Dave T

                  • toxic pixie
                    Message 9 of 12 , 16 Aug

                      You have posted the right link, and they look good!

                      I might drop the third arty on a base as you say - it's very cluttered.

                      Possibly just print out the unit info on the ID strip - I'm not sure I like it as much, but it makes it easy to swap when the units are in a different battle! I use a tiny blob of bluetac to stick it to back strip I left on the bases and it doesn't detract much. Makes it look very like a "map table game" or staff exercise, which is quite handy for getting people involved, I think.

                      I know some people find the idea of such lutter anathema but tbh I find I need to make sure players actually know who is what and how many - doubly so on a loud, awkward club night!

                      Nathan
                    • toxic pixie
                      Message 10 of 12 , 16 Aug
                        Thanks Alan!

                        I'd like to get them out more but the club is very D&D focused and getting four people to sit down and push lead is a right pain for space.

                        Nathan
                      • Alan Millicheap

                          Message 12 of 12 , 16 Aug
                            Ha, ha, ha ... absolutely brilliant. This is what war is - not bloody faeries!