offensive fire question

  • ssjumna32
    Message 1 of 11 , 21 Sep

      Probably best if I frame this query as an example;

      Moving side moves into range of a defending unit (to simplify things let's say they are both Smoothbore armed infantry). The defending unit fires in the defensive fire phase and gets a 'halt' result and pushes the moving unit back to 3" away from it. The question is does the moving unit then get offensive fire?

      Up until now we have been playing it that it has effectively been pushed to just out of range so doesn't. This also has the bonus of speeding up the game as it removes more calculation of return fire for what is likely to be ineffective fire anyway given that the halted united will at the least be disrupted. Is this correct?

      Thanks

    • bbbchrisp
      Message 2 of 11 , 22 Sep
        Thanks for the question. The moving unit will still get offensive fire. Per p19:
        "the enemy player may move the target unit back to any point in its move by which it was or had been an eligible target for all the firing units at the same Fire Factors they used against it".
        I.e., at the point where it is halted, it is in range of the defender's fire, therefore it is in range to fire itself.

        This means that often attempted assaults will degenerate into protracted firefights. This is intentional and historical.

        Chris

      • ssjumna32
        Message 3 of 11 , 22 Sep
          ok thanks for the clarification
        • ssjumna32
          Message 4 of 11 , 22 Sep
            although I assume if the defenders all have (for example) MLs and the attackers SMs then the defenders could then push them out of range of the SMs  with a halted result?
          • bbbchrisp
            Message 5 of 11 , 22 Sep
              That's right - if the attackers are outranged, the defenders can pin them down where they can't effectively reply. You see this a lot in the Franco-Prussian War where the Prussian needleguns really need to close with the French chassepots.

              Chris
            • andrew.fuller48
              Message 6 of 11 , 22 Sep
                This has just happened to me this afternoon. Two large units of Prussians advancing towards the Giffert Woods. The jammy French had a couple of units lining the edge - result Prussians stopped and disorganised out of range of the French. Bad rolls and the supporting Prussian artillery stalled, still limbered, whilst the Prussian infantry could not reorganise and get moving again. More French infantry, artillery and mitrailleuse turn up. Only two disorganised Prussian bases able to give defensive fire - result was French now able to score 25 with rolls of 8+ so goodnight Vienna (or should that be Berlin)!
              • Toxicpixie
                Message 7 of 11 , 23 Sep
                  Stalled Prussians getting mown down and victorious French?

                  Vive Napoleon!

                  Until the other three divisions of Germans turn up behind the French flank ;)

                  Nathan

                  Sent from my iPhone
                • bbbchrisp
                  Message 8 of 11 , 23 Sep
                    Did the French score a win at Spicheren then? (Perhaps hastening Steinmetz's 'promotion' to where he couldn't do any more damage?)

                    Chris
                  • andrew.fuller48
                    Message 9 of 11 , 23 Sep
                      Chris and Nathan - I am currently halfway through that game and attempting two flanking moves with the Prussian reinforcements. Once I can roll for those Krupps to unlimber I may actually start doing some serious damage myself - at least the French kept running out of ammo, but it just shows what good dice my opponent was rolling, as well as his excellent troop deployment. We shall conclude next Friday afternoon.
                    • MH
                      Message 10 of 11 , 23 Sep
                        Nitpicker!   :)

                        On Saturday, September 23, 2017, 4:52:45 AM CDT, Toxicpixie toxicpixie@... [BBB_wargames] <BBB_wargames@...> wrote:

                        Stalled Prussians getting mown down and victorious French?

                        Vive Napoleon!

                        Until the other three divisions of Germans turn up behind the French flank ;)

                        Nathan

                        Sent from my iPhone

                      • vtsaogames
                        Message 11 of 11 , 26 Sep
                          That's right - if the attackers are outranged, the defenders can pin them down where they can't effectively
                          > reply. You see this a lot in the Franco-Prussian War where the Prussian needleguns really need to close with
                          > the French chassepots.

                          I did this a lot during our Franco-Prussian War campaign. Stopped the sausage-eaters just outside their 3" close range but well within French 6" close range. They got the odd disruption result against us while we usually knocked out stands. Worked a charm until the Krupp guns worked us over.