assaulting across a bridge

  • ssjumna32
    Message 1 of 12 , 28 Sep
      does a unit assaulting across a bridge have to do so in Column of March, assuming the river they are crossing is otherwise impassable?

      Thanks

    • Alan Millicheap
      Message 2 of 12 , 28 Sep
        No they can assault across a bridge in line or in depth

        It's nasty as they suffer a right shift in defensive fire and then -2 in the assault

        And if there is a village or town there as well then it's all cumulative

        Many's the time I've seen the French Grenadiers disintegrate trying to cross the canal at Magenta

        Message 3 of 12 , 28 Sep
          ok thanks,

          I did think it would be a little too hard if they had to be in column of march in addition to all other penalties
        • Alan Millicheap
          Message 4 of 12 , 28 Sep
            Don't forget that a unit in line or in depth can cross a bridge as part of it's normal movement BUT it does stop other units from using the bridge for that turn

            On 28 September 2017 at 12:08, matthew_bradley@... [BBB_wargames] <BBB_wargames@...> wrote:

            ok thanks,

            I did think it would be a little too hard if they had to be in column of march in addition to all other penalties

          • bbbchrisp
            Message 5 of 12 , 28 Sep
              Thanks for the question. Alan's answer is correct. (Thanks Al.)

              Chris
            • ssjumna32
              Message 6 of 12 , 28 Sep
                does that apply if the unit(s) are in column of march?
              • Alan Millicheap
                Message 7 of 12 , 28 Sep
                  Bridges are bottlenecks

                  In a given turn

                  A. only 1 unit in line or in depth can cross - this blocks all other traffic from using the bridge

                  B. any number of units in march column can cross a bridge provided the bridge is clear  ie if a unit in march column stops  on a bridge or A. has occurred

                  I like BBB - as well as fighting battles you get to do a bit of traffic management :)

                  On 28 September 2017 at 13:08, matthew_bradley@... [BBB_wargames] <BBB_wargames@...> wrote:

                  does that apply if the unit(s) are in column of march?

                • andrew.fuller48
                  Message 8 of 12 , 28 Sep
                    Somewhere there is a black and white wrist band waiting for this man (now that really shows my age!).
                  • Alan Millicheap
                    Message 9 of 12 , 28 Sep
                      Lol but for the 1859 Austrians it's true

                      Montebello - the Austrian reinforcements have 2 bridges to cross  over the River Coppa
                      Magenta - the Austrian reinforcements have 1 bridge to cross at Robecco
                      Solferino - if using the Mr Pringle Stratagem then the Austrians have 2 bridges to cross over the River Redone

                      It's worse than the M5 on a Bank Holiday weekend

                      Message 10 of 12 , 28 Sep
                        Problem is that the Lombardy plain has the mighty Po and all its tributaries, plus canals, plus innumerable drainage ditches.
                      • vtsaogames
                        Message 11 of 12 , 28 Sep
                          I like BBB - as well as fighting battles you get to do a bit of traffic management :)

                          The last set of rules I played that had traffic jams was Le Feu Sacre - the card activation led to it. Normally, IGO-UGO games allow enormous forces to rush through defiles as though they are the steppes. I like the traffic jams. Bring on friction.
                        • TIM CARNE
                          Message 12 of 12 , 28 Sep
                            Here-Here!!  Amateurs talk tactics, professional talk logistics!!