Spicheren revisit

  • andrew.fuller48
    Message 1 of 6 , 29 Sep

      The second revisit to the Spicheren game concluded this afternoon with a win for the French in the 8th move. With Prussia going first in each move, by the 8th things were looking decidedly dodgy for the them. The battle looked as though it could be brought to a draw if the Prussians could just snatch Forbach, as they already held the Pfaffen Wood. The Prussians succeeded in the first part of the turn, but then the French charged into the Pfaffen Wood and ousted the Prussians. Consequently the French held four objectives and claimed victory as the sun set, although the Prussians had snatched many valuable supplies from their depots at Forbach.

    • vtsaogames
      Message 2 of 6 , 29 Sep
        Consequently the French held four objectives and claimed victory as the sun set,

        Viva la France! I only managed a tie in our campaign.
      • andrew.fuller48
        Message 3 of 6 , 1 Oct 03:50
          Hi Vincent, to be honest the Germans did suffer from some very poor movement rolls, particularly the artillery (2 lots of snake eyes when your infantry are taking a pounding can be very galling). Furthermore the artillery approaching from Schonek also became snarled up, principally because we forgot the 3" minimum movement for a half move through woods (i.e. half move for artillery is 6", but through woods is 6" penalty - really wish I'd remembered the 3" rule - although that battery also rolled two no moves, so it probably still wouldn't have gotten into action). So all in all, the French commander made some good positional choices for his troops, but the sun was definitely le soleil on the day.
        • MH
          Message 4 of 6 , 2 Oct 07:05
            Good for the French!  :)

            Message 5 of 6 , 2 Oct 10:52
               we forgot the 3" minimum movement for a half move through woods (i.e. half move for artillery is 6", but
              > through woods is 6" penalty - really wish I'd remembered the 3" rule

              The Confederate artillery and cavalry suffered from the same mistake the first time we played Shiloh. Won't make that mistake again. Others perhaps...
            • andrew.fuller48
              Message 6 of 6 , 3 Oct 02:18
                Interesting that you should mention the ACW. I remarked during the Spicheren game that, with the French holding the Pfaffen slopes to the Rotherberg, and the Prussians attacking from both the north and west, it was beginning to resemble Gettysburg, with the Prussians in the same situation as the Confederates. Every attack, bar the one on Forbach, was thrown back.