Baccus Crimean

  • nicklemming
    Message 1 of 13 , 7 Oct

      Does anyone who has made crimean armies using Bacchus 19th century ranges remember which figures they used for which units? I'm trying to come up with a suitable proxy list.

      Thanks!

    • andrew.fuller48
      Message 2 of 13 , 8 Oct
        There  is discussion about this now on the Baccus forum on their website, including proxy lists, e.g. I've recently suggested the 1815 British hussar for Russians and the Sudan Egyptians in white uniforms as Turks.
      • nicklemming
        Message 3 of 13 , 8 Oct
          I know, I posted to that thread with the long list of proxy suggestions. :D

          I was hoping to be able to fill in some of the gaps there or receive better suggestions (like yours) by asking here too.
        • bbbchrisp
          Message 4 of 13 , 9 Oct
            My Turks are Heroics & Ros, not Baccus, so I can't comment on specific Baccus codes. However I endorse the suggestion from the Baccus forum of using troops in kepi (ACW, or French 1870) and trimming off the visor. That worked for my H&R cavalry and gunners, all ex-Union.

            I also suggest you look at ACW or French zouaves. The turban and baggy pants won't work for the Turkish regulars in the Crimea, but should be good for some of the more irregular types on the Caucasus front, or bashi-bazouks in Roumania and Bulgaria.

            Chris
          • nicklemming
            Message 5 of 13 , 11 Oct
              Thanks Chris, I've gone through the list on the baccus forum again and changed a few things. Great suggestions, I think with a bit of filing (and in some cases a bit of putty), we can just about manage all the figures we need now.
            • bbbchrisp
              Message 6 of 13 , 12 Oct
                I see you still want casualty figures. How about Irregular Miniatures? In their Napoleonics list they have MN 23 two bases x 6 dead inf, MN24 2x 4 dead horses. Those should serve, shouldn't they?

                Not to mention their comprehensive Crimea range including Balaclava train, troops in winter dress, Florence Nightingale etc!
                http://irregularminiatures.co.uk/

                Chris
              • nicklemming
                Message 7 of 13 , 12 Oct
                  Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of Irregular's figures (which is a shame, because the people at Irregular are great). The first 6mm figures I had were from Irregular, but they just don't stand up to the quality of other manufacturers.
                • nick turner
                  Message 8 of 13 , 12 Oct
                    I was very disappointed with the Irregular 6mm FPW figures when they arrived, however when painted they have a dynamic feel about them
                  • mel7530
                    Message 9 of 13 , 12 Oct

                      Irregular can be a bit irregular, but they often do what no-one else does.

                      Message 10 of 13 , 12 Oct
                        I have some armies by Irregular, some by Baccus, some by H&R. They each have their merits, but indeed it's a matter of taste.

                        I'd have thought specifically for casualties, though, Irregular would be rather good even as part of a Baccus army - you don't want your casualties to look neat and tidy and sharp-edged, and also the less precise moulding could be an advantage if you're proxying.

                        Anyway, good luck with finding models that suit your taste.

                        Chris
                      • vtsaogames
                        Message 11 of 13 , 12 Oct
                          I should think for casualties, standards might be lower.

                          As for painting, I saw a post once by a fellow who'd seen dead people after battle and he said they always looked dusty.
                        • andrew.fuller48
                          Message 12 of 13 , 12 Oct
                            I must admit that there is something rather magical about Irregular 6mm. They can often look rather disappointing straight from the package, but once the paint starts going on they begin to look quite special. Taking the FPW range as an example, there are a variety of bases within the main infantry codes, some with a casualty on the base, others kneeling, differing spacings and groupings. In the Crimea range there are blocks of figures available - this makes producing Russian columns very quick and easy to get on the table (the British simply use the 2 rank Napoleonic blocks). White primer, light paint shades and a good wash produce some very nice results.
                          • ssjumna32
                            Message 13 of 13 , 13 Oct
                              I have some of the Irregular horse casualties and they worked ok for me. As they are only horses then they also work for several periods as well, which is a bonus.