Dego 1796 - Napoleon in Italy!

  • bbbchrisp
    Message 1 of 14 , 7 Nov 04:32
      I have just uploaded a draft scenario, "Dego 1796", covering the first 6 days of Napoleon's famous Italian campaign of 1796. This was the period that culminated in the two battles of Dego but also included Voltri, Monte Legino, Montenotte, Millesimo and Cosseria.

      Apart from needing quite a few big hills, it is deliberately quite simple and schematic. The intention is that it should be all about rapid maneuver and decisive assaults, and it should play swiftly.

      I would really welcome feedback from any members of the group who fancy playtesting the scenario.

      Assuming this stripped-down approach works, I intend to add further scenarios to cover the whole of the 1796-1797 campaign.

      Chris

    • vtsaogames
      Message 2 of 14 , 7 Nov 05:20
        Oh my. We have Chickamauga on tap after Thanksgiving but this is sure tempting. And we have gotten into Musket & Tomahawk skirmishes too. So many games, so little time...
      • ssjumna32
        Message 3 of 14 , 7 Nov 05:32
          oooh I've been looking for an excuse to get some early French to go with my (yet to be painted) early Austrians...might be able to have a look at it in a couple of months...
        • ktravlos
          Message 4 of 14 , 7 Nov 08:20
            I am glad to see BBRB is happening!
          • curranjohng
            Message 5 of 14 , 7 Nov 13:01
              Totally cool!    In early October I spent 10 days in North Italy touring the battlefields of this and the 1800 campaign.   Just curious, what prompted you to take this on?

              The only wargaming effort I have seen to reproduce these particular 1797 battles is in the French wargaming magazine, Vae Victis.

              I will definitely get this on the table but probably not until the New Year.

              Look forward to more Italian battles of Napoleon!

              JC
            • MH
              Message 6 of 14 , 7 Nov 13:19
                I know how you feel, I'm the same way. Wanting to try a lot of things and always new projects under way, I think it's advanced wargamer's disease.

                Message 7 of 14 , 7 Nov 13:34
                  John, glad you like! The motivation for this is part of a bigger project. More details soon.

                  Chris
                • dunsters2000
                  Message 8 of 14 , 8 Nov 00:41
                    Oh very nice; will have to use hyphenated Wars figures and hope the proxy police aren’t watching but I suspect this may need a run through before year end.  It will also spur the painting fairy to get on with it!
                  • chadders1813
                    Message 9 of 14 , 8 Nov 02:11
                      Chris

                      Don’t know if the following would be of use. I have the Greenhill data book which gives detailed OOB, I also have the 7 volumes of Nafziger’s translation of Wars of the French Revolution. Volume 6 contains a narrative of the two actions at Dego and I would be happy to try and get good copies of the narrative if it would be of help.

                      Pete

                    • bbbchrisp
                      Message 10 of 14 , 8 Nov 02:42
                        Pete, thanks very much for your kind offer.

                        The scenario's scope is a whole week of fighting including Voltri, Monte Legino, Montenotte, Millesimo, and Cosseria as well as Dego, so I don't need detailed narratives of Dego per se.

                        I don't need OOBs specifically for Dego either, just OOBs for the start of the campaign on 10 April. I used various C19 sources for these, quite possibly the same ones that Greenhill and Nafziger used, but I'd certainly be interested to see their OOBs.

                        Also interested in OOBs for the second week, the actions against Piedmont: Ceva, the Cursaglia, Mondovi. Do you have any for those?

                        Chris
                      • chadders1813
                        Message 11 of 14 , 8 Nov 05:41
                          Chris

                          I will see what I have. If I have any narratives on the other engagements you mention would they be useful

                          Give me a few days to see what I have

                          Pete

                        • bbbchrisp
                          Message 12 of 14 , 8 Nov 05:49
                            Thanks, Pete - I will PM you.

                            Chris
                          • bbbchrisp
                            Message 13 of 14 , 9 Nov 01:21
                              Oops, found I got the ground scale wrong - those were 10km grid squares, not 5km - the scenario in the files is corrected now.
                            • Nicholas Murray
                              Message 14 of 14 , 10 Nov 04:37
                                Obviously, I didn’t notice.

                                :-)

                                I should have some maps for you this weekend. I think you will see that as they get done, they should cover most of the issues you raised.

                                Nick

                                Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad