Dego 1796 - Napoleon in Italy!
- I have just uploaded a draft scenario, "Dego 1796", covering the first 6 days of Napoleon's famous Italian campaign of 1796. This was the period that culminated in the two battles of Dego but also included Voltri, Monte Legino, Montenotte, Millesimo and Cosseria.
Apart from needing quite a few big hills, it is deliberately quite simple and schematic. The intention is that it should be all about rapid maneuver and decisive assaults, and it should play swiftly.
I would really welcome feedback from any members of the group who fancy playtesting the scenario.
Assuming this stripped-down approach works, I intend to add further scenarios to cover the whole of the 1796-1797 campaign.
- Oh my. We have Chickamauga on tap after Thanksgiving but this is sure tempting. And we have gotten into Musket & Tomahawk skirmishes too. So many games, so little time...
- oooh I've been looking for an excuse to get some early French to go with my (yet to be painted) early Austrians...might be able to have a look at it in a couple of months...
- Totally cool! In early October I spent 10 days in North Italy touring the battlefields of this and the 1800 campaign. Just curious, what prompted you to take this on?The only wargaming effort I have seen to reproduce these particular 1797 battles is in the French wargaming magazine, Vae Victis.I will definitely get this on the table but probably not until the New Year.Look forward to more Italian battles of Napoleon!JC
- I know how you feel, I'm the same way. Wanting to try a lot of things and always new projects under way, I think it's advanced wargamer's disease.
On Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 7:20:22 AM CST, vtsaogames@... [BBB_wargames] <BBB_wargames@...> wrote:
Oh my. We have Chickamauga on tap after Thanksgiving but this is sure tempting. And we have gotten into Musket & Tomahawk skirmishes too. So many games, so little time...
- Oh very nice; will have to use hyphenated Wars figures and hope the proxy police aren’t watching but I suspect this may need a run through before year end. It will also spur the painting fairy to get on with it!
- ChrisDon’t know if the following would be of use. I have the Greenhill data book which gives detailed OOB, I also have the 7 volumes of Nafziger’s translation of Wars of the French Revolution. Volume 6 contains a narrative of the two actions at Dego and I would be happy to try and get good copies of the narrative if it would be of help.Pete
- Pete, thanks very much for your kind offer.
The scenario's scope is a whole week of fighting including Voltri, Monte Legino, Montenotte, Millesimo, and Cosseria as well as Dego, so I don't need detailed narratives of Dego per se.
I don't need OOBs specifically for Dego either, just OOBs for the start of the campaign on 10 April. I used various C19 sources for these, quite possibly the same ones that Greenhill and Nafziger used, but I'd certainly be interested to see their OOBs.
Also interested in OOBs for the second week, the actions against Piedmont: Ceva, the Cursaglia, Mondovi. Do you have any for those?
- ChrisI will see what I have. If I have any narratives on the other engagements you mention would they be usefulGive me a few days to see what I havePete
- Obviously, I didn’t notice.:-)I should have some maps for you this weekend. I think you will see that as they get done, they should cover most of the issues you raised.Nick
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
On Thursday, November 9, 2017, 4:21 AM, bbbchrisp@... [BBB_wargames] <BBB_wargames@...> wrote:
Oops, found I got the ground scale wrong - those were 10km grid squares, not 5km - the scenario in the files is corrected now.