"Best rules ever played"

  • bbbchrisp
    Message 1 of 7 , 24 Nov
      As our newest recruit described BBB. Maybe he hasn't played many other games; maybe it was just a cunning tactic to persuade me to let him into the Yahoo group.

      I prefer to take it at face value and it's made my day.

      Have a good weekend, everyone!

      Chris

    • davidraybin
      Message 2 of 7 , 25 Nov
        Well I agree that above the "tactical"  level rules which are lots of fun,  i. e. . Sword and the Flame,  there are a lot of division or even corps sized rules in  "our" era. They  no longer interest me. Once I get above a battalion-sized  battle I want to play an entire army-sized battle. BBB is just the ticket AND it uses 6-sided dice. Love it .
      • ktravlos
        Message 3 of 7 , 26 Nov
          The only rules I would say come a close second, nonetheless is Altar of Freedom. BBB had the better comabt and movement system, but I still want to see the Altar of Freedom CnC system combined to BBB. That would be the god of games. But BBB is the demigod.
        • andrew.fuller48
          Message 4 of 7 , 28 Nov
            I agree about Altar of Freedom. I do like the 60mm frontage units and the clock as well as the generals’ personalities. However, I am currently preparing some 30mm frontage bases so that I can use my AoF Baccus armies at The Joy of Six to do BBB Bull Run. This will give me an opportunity to produce troops in havelocks and units of Rebs in blue and Union in grey.
          • Chuck Parrott
            Message 5 of 7 , 28 Nov

              Count me as another Altar of Freedom fan. I found BBB as a result of reading posts on AoF. Love the AoF c&c system, but was pretty meh about the combat. Was too dry for my tastes. BBB definitely fit the bill on the latter part. My group likes BBB, but misses the personality traits from AoF.

              Message 6 of 7 , 28 Nov
                I liked reading Altar of Freedom and the look of the massed bases. But we never figured out the combat system. The way we played, it was a bunch of shoving back and forth with very few units routed. Our Shiloh game looked great. But as the Union player I never really felt hard pressed, which was certainly not the case with Grant that April day.
              • Chuck Parrott
                Message 7 of 7 , 28 Nov

                  Same experience. It just never seemed decisive (I know that term is often antithesis to ACW battles…) and no point where you felt like an army was on the verge of panic and collapse. For the most part we could never see a reason to pull units out of the line and rest them though the mechanic is there. All that being said, at the end of a battle, it often looked similar to the real outcomes so it must be doing something right.