Seige guns

  • vtsaogames
    Message 1 of 7 , 5 Dec 14:40

      Untested, off the top of my head rule for siege guns:

      They ignore one level of target cover.

      They require a full move to pivot and may not fire during offensive fire phase in same turn.

      They require a full move to limber or deploy and may not fire during offensive fire phase in same turn.

      Shift one column right when firing at enemy artillery.

      If silenced, act as other artillery. Nothing gets people moving like incoming fire.

    • Julian Lander
      Message 2 of 7 , 6 Dec 01:29

        Vince,

        If you are talking about the really big stuff, I think you are optimistic in your movement and deployment times:

        They ignore one level of target cover. Agree with this. May even be more.
        They require a full move to pivot and may not fire during offensive fire phase in same turn. These things had to be dug in and emplaced properly in the periods before WW1.  I have suffered in the past during a relief game (Newark!) when the besieging player apparently had 64lb swivel guns.  I would say that in order to swivel at all they would have to move even at BBB scales
        They require a full move to limber or deploy and may not fire during offensive fire phase in same turn.  I would say 3 moves i.e. one move to emplace/unemplace, one move to limber or unlimber and one move delay to load before firing.  We are not talking about trivial bits of kit here.

        Julian

        Julian Lander

        Email Julian.lander@...

      • Julian Lander
        Message 3 of 7 , 6 Dec 01:36

          Vince,

          If you are talking about the really big stuff, during the 19th century and before, I think you are optimistic in your movement and deployment times:

          They ignore one level of target cover. Agree with this. May even be more.
          They require a full move to pivot and may not fire during offensive fire phase in same turn. These things had to be dug in and emplaced properly in the periods before WW1.  I have suffered in the past during a relief game (Newark!) when the besieging player apparently had 64lb swivel guns.  I would say that in order to swivel at all they would have to move even at BBB scales
          They require a full move to limber or deploy and may not fire during offensive fire phase in same turn.  I would say 3 moves i.e. one move to emplace/unemplace, one move to limber or unlimber and one move delay to load before firing.  We are not talking about trivial bits of kit here.  They often required multiple teams to move them around in bad conditions.

          Shift one column right when firing at enemy artillery.
          Agreed – again maybe even more.  Anything above 32lbs would not be classed as battlefield artillery and would only be available for sieges.  Youo may also wish to add in an extra loading time (e.g. fire on alternate moves) although again that may be amortised into the game time based on the scale of your game

          If silenced, act as other artillery. Nothing gets people moving like incoming fire. Agree

          Julian

          Julian Lander

          Email Julian.lander@...

        • Alan Millicheap
          Message 4 of 7 , 6 Dec 02:56
            I'd be even harsher

            1. Can only fire in the offensive fire phase
            2. Can only pivot or move in a Night phase
            3. Treat Silenced as low on ammo
            4. Shift right for 2nd and consecutive shots on the same target

            Alan

            Message 5 of 7 , 6 Dec 04:53
              > 1. Can only fire in the offensive fire phase
              2. Can only pivot or move in a Night phase
              > 3. Treat Silenced as low on ammo
              > 4. Shift right for 2nd and consecutive shots on the same target

              I was thinking of the 18 lb guns at Inkerman or Palo Alto.

              3 is actually a bonus. I much prefer my guns in rifle pits or the like so they don't have to limber and fall back. It takes them out of action much longer than being low on ammo.

              But I see your drift: what kind of siege guns are we talking about in the first place. Hadn't got that far.
            • Alan Millicheap
              Message 6 of 7 , 6 Dec 05:23
                I was thinking along the lines of the Prussian pieces at the Siege of Paris

                In the case of 18 pdrs I would probably go with what Julian said.

                Although I still can't see them limbering up and falling back

                On 6 December 2017 at 12:53, vtsaogames@... [BBB_wargames] <BBB_wargames@...> wrote:

                > 1. Can only fire in the offensive fire phase
                2. Can only pivot or move in a Night phase
                > 3. Treat Silenced as low on ammo
                > 4. Shift right for 2nd and consecutive shots on the same target

                I was thinking of the 18 lb guns at Inkerman or Palo Alto.

                3 is actually a bonus. I much prefer my guns in rifle pits or the like so they don't have to limber and fall back. It takes them out of action much longer than being low on ammo.

                But I see your drift: what kind of siege guns are we talking about in the first place. Hadn't got that far.

              • ktravlos
                Message 7 of 7 , 6 Dec 07:51
                  How long are turns? 1 hour? 2 hour? 4 hour? 6 hour? That and scenario scale is the determining factor about howto treat siege guns if at all.