Movement question

  • bixpeter
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2017

      Hii, I'm a little puzzled by one aspect of the movement rules, i.e. making a formation change during moving at cost of half a move - o.k. so far, but it's the "may include a change of facing" which I don't get, do you then continue with whatever movement you have left moving in the same direction but actually facing a different direction? What is the intent here as it seems a little odd, as you could change facing at the end of your move anyway by pivoting on your FCP. Thanks, Peter.

    • bbbchrisp
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2017
        Ooo, that's an interesting wrinkle - thanks for the question!

        What we find first on p12 is this:
        "Infantry and Artillery units’ Movement Path must follow a straight line throughout.
        A cavalry unit is allowed to make one change of direction at any point along its Movement Path."
        What follows does not change that.

        We then indeed find that:
        "Formation change can be done at any point during the unit’s movement, and may include a change of facing."

        The intention is that the unit can change formation and then carry on moving along its (straight line) Movement Path. This is mostly useful for approaching in column but then shaking out into a fighting formation just before moving up into range of the enemy.

        The change of facing cannot 'bend' the Movement Path. So long as the new facing still keeps the Movement Path in its front arc, the unit can carry on along the same path for the rest of its movement allowance. If the change of facing takes the Movement Path out of its front arc, it will incur the 3" penalty for movement out of arc, which will usually make any further movement impossible.

        Does that help?

        Chris
      • vtsaogames
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2017
          This brings up another question. Can a unit move into contact in column and then deploy into a combat formation?

          We had a unit do so during the last game. Defensive fire disrupted the unit (Granger's) which was then put back into column, the rationale that the attempt to deploy had been stooped by rifle fire.

          In any case, Granger then went on to pulverize the Confederate right.
        • bixpeter
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 29, 2017
            Hi Chris, thanks for the quick response. Yes I think so but I've set up my table 6x4  for Loigny/Poupry for my two chums (chumps?) to attempt to get as far as we can with it, they know nothing about the rules and I've just read them through and played the Montebello game with you at Warfare last month so there's a touch of the "In the country of the blind the one eyed man is king" about it! Since "house rules rule" I think I'll tell them that you can change formation but not facing until the completion of the movement. Sound reasonable? Since I have your attention Chris I spotted an explanation re: movement through terrain etc. in the file section, to wit: if a unit starts it's movement in clear terrain and then moves through e.g. woods but the FCP of the unit does not touch the woods during it's passage then no penalty is paid. Sounds o.k. but I can't actually find this interpretation in the rules, a house rule perhaps? anyway thanks again. Peter.
          • bbbchrisp
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 29, 2017
              Hi Pete,

              Aha, OK, I remember doing Montebello with you at Warfare. What a good day that was.

              The answer is on p12:
              "If any part of the unit starts its movement in Difficult Terrain, or if any part of its path is in one or more pieces of Difficult Terrain, deduct 3” from its move (6” for cavalry or artillery)."
              By "path" is meant "movement path". If the path goes through a gap between areas of difficult terrain, the unit goes through the gap with no penalty.

              I hope your buddies enjoy Loigny/Poupry. That's quite a good starter battle too, as there are very few units on table to start with so people can get the hang of the game mechanisms before the main forces arrive. Have fun!

              Chris

            • davidraybin
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 29, 2017
                Last  year I had the very same question  come up and  Chris explained it -- I wrote it down and took pictures.  GO the  FILES section and cursor down to:

                MOVEMENT RULES  BBB  July 2016.pdf

                There you will find my illustrated exposition on this.  I believe it is correct; we have been using the concept for the last year and it seems to work.

                Love these rules.