Premeasuring?

  • nicklemming
    Message 1 of 8 , 10 Jan 12:17

      Can't remember seeing this on my first read through - is premeasuring (for shooting, chargng, etc) allowed or disallowed?

    • bbbchrisp
      Message 2 of 8 , 10 Jan 12:29
        Nick, thanks for the question. The rulebook doesn't specify. The closest it comes is on p17 where it says:

        "To conduct firing, the player whose fire phase it is indicates an enemy unit he wishes to target. He then indicates all the units or bases of his own with which he wishes to fire on that target; checks the ranges; calculates the combined fire factors for all bases firing on the one target, applying any relevant fire multipliers or column shifts; and rolls 2D6 to resolve the effect of his fire."

        This implies that the decision to fire precedes any measurement.

        BUT

        I am in favour of pre-measurement, for moving and for firing, and that's how we play.

        Chris
      • Alan Millicheap
        Message 3 of 8 , 10 Jan 13:03
          I've always found that if you don't allow pre-measurement then people get up to all sorts of dodgy things to circumvent it

          spooling out 3 foot of tape to measure a 3" move

          attempting to shoot when completely out of range

          being a buildings surveyor

          Alan

          On 10 January 2018 at 20:29, bbbchrisp@... [BBB_wargames] <BBB_wargames@...> wrote:

          Nick, thanks for the question. The rulebook doesn't specify. The closest it comes is on p17 where it says:

          "To conduct firing, the player whose fire phase it is indicates an enemy unit he wishes to target. He then indicates all the units or bases of his own with which he wishes to fire on that target; checks the ranges; calculates the combined fire factors for all bases firing on the one target, applying any relevant fire multipliers or column shifts; and rolls 2D6 to resolve the effect of his fire."

          This implies that the decision to fire precedes any measurement.

          BUT

          I am in favour of pre-measurement, for moving and for firing, and that's how we play.

          Chris

        • MH

            Message 5 of 8 , 10 Jan 14:59
              I ask the Fencibles to state their intent when moving, "this is out of range", etc.

              I also ask that folks make it plain by not parking just outside or inside range, but none seem able to follow that.
            • nicklemming
              Message 6 of 8 , 10 Jan 16:10
                One of my regular opponents when I lived in Brighton used to work at a builders' merchant. Any time we played a game that didn't allow premeasuring, I knew he'd have much more luck than me; he'd often say something like "that looks like 13 and a quarter inches to me" and be exactly on. He also used to have terrible luck with the dice, so it used to even out.
              • ktravlos
                Message 7 of 8 , 11 Jan 10:57
                  We always allow pre-measurement. If I want to train my hand-eye coordination I will play computer action games.
                • Dave Telford
                  Message 8 of 8 , 11 Jan 11:54

                    They may not have rangefinders, but they did have methods of checking distance. Scharnhorsts field pocket book describes a couple of methods, with and without a telescope. For the naked eye he describes what may be seen. At 1500 paces you cannot distinguish files. At 600 paces you can distinguish heads. A 3-400 paces you can distinguish uniform lace and faces. 75 to 100 paces you can see eyes.  He had other examples for cavalry.

                    There’s another method we’ve tried in our Prussian unit, but I’m not sure of the source. You march a man out 300 paces, focus your telescope on him and put a line on where the telescope barrel is extended to. You can do the same for other ranges further out. Later you set the telescope to your firing range and when the enemy is in focus, given the fire order.  It worked pretty well.

                    I think other than raw officers they had a reasonable idea of optimum firing ranges and effective charge differences.   I don’t think its unreasonable to allow us armchair generals to measure. I prefer that players state their intent of a unit and we can be less worrried about distances, especially if balancing on scenery.  I’d prefer to be told troops were holding outside of effective firing range than someone spending time to check they were all at 3.1” range.

                    I think you also need to consider that BBB figures are the centre markers of the unit, there are deployments ahead and behind of this, such as skirmish lines. So some may engage, but not effectively. And the dice allow for imprecision in the junior officers judgement.  A low dice roll could be leading units mis-judging the firing range or charge distance. Or premature discharge.

                    Just my views,

                    All the best, Dave.