Re: [Bristol-PSC] Re: Attitude of the JSQ

  • emile aboud
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2010
      Agreed Monica.

      I read this interview some time ago and drew similar conclusions to yourself.
      The interviewer is extremely anxious to present a rosy, compassionate and philantropic picture of these musicians, and poses a succession of very leading questions calculated to foster this image.
      In reality, there is no doubt that they are ( knowingly ) used as valuable propaganda for Israel (and its Zionist policies ).
       A blatant attempt to present a civilised face for a brutal regime.
      Whilst the musicians themselves purport not to represent Israel, they make no effort to dissociate themselves from this publicity - until they are challenged, when they are quick to deny that they act in this role !
      As I stated before,this very tour to Australia was partly funded by the Israeli Government !

      Also, Daniel Barenboim, the conductor mentioned in the article, and with whom they are keen to be associated, is himself a signatory to the growing group of Jewish and Israeli artists refusing to perform for Israelis in the settlements.
      The new state-of-the-art theatre in the illegal settlement of Ariel has been specifically targetted by this boycott.
      Compare this facility with what Palestinian artists have at their disposal.

      I recently was priviledged to attended the performance by Trio Joubran at St. George's in Bristol ( they are Christian Palestinians, but make no distinction on this score ). The leader spoke briefly, and in a very dispassionate manner, of some of the problems faced by Palestinian performers as a result of the occupation.
      They themselves have had their homes damaged deliberately on more than one occasion. Concerts are cancelled by the occupation authorities for no reason and with no right of appeal.
      Even their instruments, which are hand-made by one of the members, have been confiscated.
       Musicians promoting traditional Palestinian music and instruments are specifically harassed.
      The leader of the group bore no malice whatever, and stated that their only weapons are their instruments and their music !

      For them travelling abroad is an ordeal and fraught with difficulties.They are never sure of when they will be granted permission to travel, and hence arranging foreign concerts is problematic.
      Compare this with the easy, state sponsored and promoted, arrangements of JSQ and the contrast is enormous ! And yet, have they done anything to ease the lot of their fellow musicians in Palestine ?

      I am convinced that not trying to bring this to the attention of the public would be remiss of us and a betrayal of the hardships suffered by Palestinian musicians.

      A special pamphlet pointing out these injustices and inequalities would be useful, rather than vilifying or disrupting the JSQ.
      By the way, they were originally named the Jerusalem Quartet, ostensibly "String" was added to make them more acceptable and "audience friendly " - another ploy in enhancing the pro-Israeli image.

      Regards and best wishes,

      Emile.

      From: chris.burns-cox@...
      To: alistairlowde@...; bigbromo@...; sallydean22@...; cliffhanley@...; monicaseejay@...; schimi@...; emileaboud2000@...
      Subject: Re: JSQ discussion and suggestion
      Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:19:47 +0100

      Dear Alistair,
      Thank you so much for your considered thoughts.
      I think you underestimate the way the JSQ functions and is used as pro-Israeli propaaganda- see Monica's letter.
      However the Vigil outside the concert would be ideal and not aggravate  but to some extent educate.
      We need some literature to disseminate probably from PSC.
      I think Ed Hill has some.
      I will be there at 6pm outside the concert hall.
      Chris