353RE: [EastLondonFamilyHistory] Re:: Jones

  • Colleen
    18 Dec 14:29
      Re James (the son)
      I thought James, son of James and Mary Ann was a twin of John; viz:
      James born 18th Sep 1843, baptised 1st Mar 1854; parents James and Mary Ann Jones of 16/18 York Street; James is a labourer. Reg No 2021 on Page 187 of parish register.

      John born 18th Sep 1843, baptised 1st Mar 1854; parents James and Mary Ann Jones of 16/18 York Street; James is a labourer. Reg No 2022 on Page 187 of parish register.

      So the James you saw, born in 1842, son of an engineer, must belong to another family.

      We know that the children weren't baptised when they born, but there were bulk baptisms at later dates. So also baptised in 1854 were the first two girls:
      Ann born 23rd Jan 1836 bap 8th Mar 1854; parents James and Mary Ann Jones of 16/18 York Street; James is a labourer. Reg No 235 on Page 189.
      Martha born 11th Dec 1833 bap 8th Mar 1854; parents James and Mary Ann Jones of 16/18 York Street; James is a labourer. Reg No 234 on Page 188

      The vicars seemed to get all zealous about their parishioners every now and then so perhaps he decided that Martha and Ann needed to be baptised too. I think their Bishops sent them messages every now and then about 'more baptisms needed'!

      The later born girls were also baptised in Mar 1854; viz:
      Emily Jones born 29th Sep 1848 baptised 1st Mar 1854; parents James and Mary Ann Jones of 16/18 York Street; James is a labourer. Reg No 2023 on Page 187 of St Dunstan's parish register.

      Mary Ann born 29th Sep 1850 bap 8th Mar 1854; parents James and Mary Ann Jones of 16/18 York Street; James is a labourer. Reg No 2041 on Page 189 of parish register.

      So James is a labourer on all of these entries (2 entries really - on 1st Mar and 8th Mar). Maybe he was a labourer when he was unable to get work as a mariner - I've seen this before.

      What is the reference you have for the 1841? ie where are they living and who is in the household?

      Colleen

      To: EastLondonFamilyHistory@...
      From: EastLondonFamilyHistory@...
      Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 06:54:21 -0800
      Subject: [EastLondonFamilyHistory] Re:: Jones

      Hi Colleen, He was a mariner when he married then listed as warehouse, silk warehouseman. When his son James Jones was born at September 1842 along with his twin he was listed as an Engineer.
      1871 census listed as Warehouseman
      1861 ..   ...Silk warehouseman
      1851 ...  .Warehouseman
      1841 Labourer If this is him of course on this census.

      So how he was an Engineer in 1842 the mind boggles.

      Barbara

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic