Harris Family, 35 Wilkes Street, Spitalfields- Brick Walled

  • niner_joe_1965
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2009
      Hi all.
      I'm trying to trace my grandmothers siblings and seem to be hitting a
      wall whereever I go.
      She never talked much about her family so I have had very little to
      go on. I have however found out some facts about her father and
      mother and the names of nine of the ten children.
      Below is all the information I have on the family. If it fits in with
      any studies which a member is doing or they know personaly anything
      about the family, any information will be gratefuly received.

      Harris Family Information
      William Samuel Harris
      Born Spitalfields Circa 1880
      At time of 1911 census was a general labourer in a local Iron works.
      But is believed to have worked as a drayman sometime after 1911. It
      is possible it was for Truman, Hanbury, Buxton & Co, who were at 91
      Brick Lane Spitalfields – only a few hundred yards from where the
      family lived.
      Married Mary Jane Turner circa 1905
      Enlisted in Dock Street, Whitechapel.
      Trained at Aldershot
      Service No: 4844
      Unit: 2nd(City of London)Battalion(Royal Fusiliers)London Regiment
      Date of Death: 13 September 1916 at No 5 or 6 Casualty Clearing
      Station La Neuville, a suburb of Corbie.
      Cause of Death: Died of wounds
      Age: 36
      Rank at time of death: Lance Corporal
      Interned: CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION
      France
      Plot 2. Row C. Grave 95.*

      Mary Jane Turner
      Born Spitalfields circa 1880
      Married William Samuel Harris Circa 1905

      On April 2nd 1911 at the time of the census, they were living with
      four children at 35 Wilkes Street, Spitalfields.
      The part of Wilkes street north of Hanbury Street no longer exists.
      It was knocked down sometime between 1920 and 1957.
      The children were;
      Ada Elizabeth Harris age five (1906) born Stepney
      Ethel Louisa Harris aged three (1908) born Stepney
      Sarah Ann Harris aged two (21st December 1908) born Stepney
      William Samuel Harris aged nine months (1910) born Stepney
      Sarah Ann was born at 296 Commercial Road, Mile End. It is part of
      the district of Stepney. The birth certificate states it was the home
      of Mary Jane Turners mother so it would be fair to surmise that all
      the children up to 1910 were born there.
      Other children known about but with no information available are;
      Florence Maud Harris – married a William Newton
      Daisy Harris
      Mary Jane Harris
      Margaret Harris
      Ida Harris

      As I wrote at the start I'm trying to fill in all these gaps and find
      their decendants.
      My aunt is the only one of Sarah Harris' children still alive and by
      the amount of siblings Sarah had theres a very good chance she has a
      few cousins around.

      Many thanks in advance

      Joe
    • LINDA
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 14, 2009
        Hello Jo my grandparent were in spitalfields ,and stepney i know on my uncles birth certificate there was a harris family. my grandparents were Jewish my grandmother was known as Nellie but her name on birthcertificate was Ellen Costa, her parents were Johanna nee mullins marriage name Costa her father was Samuel Abraham Costa, my grandmother married Noah levy Steingold, in june 1911 . my grandfather came from Warsaw Poland,his parents Israel levy Steingold his mother was Rachel. there were two more brothers and one sister Zalmon and Abraham i do not have the sisters name Israel,s parents were Isaac and Annie, Isaac did not come with when they came from poland but Annie did, she was still alive in 1914 when her son Israel died.Israel was a master tailor. going back to the birth certificate of one of my uncles his name was Isidore 24th of may 1912. they made a mistake and only put levy on certificate instead of Steingold Annie harris was a witness with my grandmother Nellie Steingold. i hope this will help you and perhaps me in some way. kind regards Linda.