Re: 1861 Census,Mile End,Stepney area

  • Colleen
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2010
      Hi Barbara

      Always a bit difficult to follow the families of other researchers. We get very close to our own families and know all the tricky bits but without a tree to look at I find I get a bit confused with other people's families.

      Can you make a list of:
      1. Individuals you'd like more information about
      2. Family groups you'd like more information about

      I'm gathering that we're talking about 3 generations of JONESes here but I can't quite get a grasp on who is who.

      Could you also include information you already have about these individuals and families; eg dates and parishes/locations (even if they're a bit of a guess), census data you already have.

      We have a few avid members who enjoy doing look-ups using resources they have access to - but it's no use giving you back what you already know - and of course, not much fun for the members to spend time looking up records and then find out that you knew this anyway.

      Chat again soon
      Colleen

      --- In EastLondonFamilyHistory@..., barbara smith <bubblybabs1@...> wrote:

      > Hi Colleen
      > Got that marriage  and I know it says bachelor but I checked at the libary for
      > the Banns for St Dunstans and there he was James Jones widower and Mary Ann
      > Cambridge spinster of this Parish same date etc. Thanks for looking though
      > appreciate it.
      >
      > If James was married prior to this wedding then that would account  for the
      > daughter Martha on the 1851 census Tower Hamlets, Mile End Old Town  born 1833.
      > There was another daughter Ann not found on the census with family born between
      > 1834/1836 who was christened along with Martha and the other family members in
      > 1854 at St Dunstans..
      > Everything about this family has been hard work. Never could undertand why one
      > son who was born dec 1844 and baptised January  1845 St Peters, 10 years  prior
      > to the others(my gt grandfather)
      >
      > Do you have an Ann Jones born that period on any census for Middlesex for 1851
      > as I never found her. Her family was  in Mile End Old Town as per 1851,1861 and
      > 1871 census but she was never on them which was strange. .
      >
      > Thanks again.
      >
      > Barbara
      > Barbara Lefevre-Smith,author
      > check out Authorhouse.com,amazon.co.uk.tesco.com
      > Beyond Reach on Hillbilly Heroin
      > Deep Ruts the Wagons made
      > Early Settlers of Banks Co(GA) including slaves
      >

      > ________________________________

    • barbara smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2010
        Hi Doreen
        I have the 1851/1861/1871 census of James Jones,Warehouseman, Mile End Old town. born between 1803-1807 as per the census Father was Richard Jones a packer.,Married wife no 2  Mary Ann Cambridge 1/1/1838 St Dunstans .Previously a Mariner but cannot find anything on him.

        Found James Jones baptised at St Micheals  Paternoster,London son of Richard Jones and Martha 18th May 1807 knows its him as on one of the census he stated born City, St Micheals. Same church a baptism 8/10/1809 Eliza Jones same parents probably his sister.
        Then checked marriage for Richard  Jones & Martha and again St Micheals Paternoster marriage Richard Jones and Martha Evans 27th October 1805. There were a lot of Jones at this church.  Did see a Richard Jones c 12/8/1787 same church father Richard mother Ann but not sure if him as records scant as you know then. These are the people I'd like something on. ,
        I have been trying to find anything on Mariners for the period 1820's-1840's for Middlesex area but nothing so if anyone can help me on that appreciate it.
         Looking for James Jones born 1806 City, Middlesex listed as Mariner on sons baptism  in 1845 but nothing after that date. For all other baptisms 1854 listed as labourer.

        As James Jones married prior to Mary Ann Cambridge would like that marriage. I know he had 2 children from that marriage as per the census where there is listed Martha Jones on 1851 with family born Shoreditch abt 1833 as she was 19 on census.
        I also know from the baptisms at St Dunstans in 1854 a mention of Ann Jones born 23/1/1836 same family and address so thats 2 daughters from previous  marriage also on the 1871 census Eliza Jones grandaughter age 14 born Mile End listed so there had to be a son from first marriage as well. I may have missed him of the baptism at St Dunstans so if anyone can double check a male Jones baptised same period same parents and living hopefully same place 16 York Place,Stepney.Mile End. I already have James, and John baptised 1854 of James Jones & Mary Ann Cambridge.

        1871 census Mile End Old Town(all census St Peters dist)
        James Jones H marr age  64  warehouseman born City,St Micheals
        Mary Ann wife seamstress 63 B Southwark
        James son unm 28 shoemaker B Mile End
        Mary Ann dtr unm 20 seamstress b Mile end
        Eliza g/dtr 14 nurse maid B Mile End
        Address 18 Belle Vue Place

        1861 census Mile end Old Town
        James Jones H marr 54 silk warehouseman B City
        Mary Ann wife 52 B Southwark
        James son un 18 dock labourer B Stepney) I know these are twins
        John son unm 16 plasterer B Stepney         ) even though ages differ
        Mary Ann dtr unm schollar 10 B Stepney
        address 86 Dunstan Rd

        1851 census Mile end Old Town
        James Jones H Marr 48 warehouseman B City of London
        Mary Ann wife Marr 46 B Southwark
        Martha  dtr unm 19 seamstress B Shoreditch
        James son unm twins  9 at home b Hampshire(mistake)
        John son umn Twins 9 at home         .........
        Emily dtr 3 at home                          ..........
        Richard son 6 at home                    ........
        Mary Ann dtr 4 months                      ........
        add 1 Pearl Street

        Because of these census I double checked and got a birth certificate for James Jones born 18/9/1842 at 8 Globe Road,Stepney father James mother Mary Ann Cambridge born 4 o'c in afternoon donating him being a twin, same parents and address as my  gt grandfather birth certificate  hence the reason I know these census are correct in that they are my family.

        What I'm looking for is anything on James Jones,Mariner B1806 City  father Richard

        Parents of Emily Jones b abt 1857 Mile End

        James Jones 1st wife I am hoping it is Ann Smith  m 28/2/1826 St George The Martyr ,Middx(got copy certificate.)

        Death of 1st wife. I did find(got copy) death of Ann Vaughan Jones 30/3/1838 age 30 says of Parkinsons buried in Mr Butlers tomb? address looks like York Place so thinking maybe its James Jones's  1st wife as per above marriage.
        I also found the marriage for James Jones to Martha Jones 1836 at St Dunstans so she could be wife no 1 also but without her  death at same address prior to 1/1/1838 I can't be certain.

        So anyone in the group can give me some help would so much appreciate as I do everything you send me. Hope you can make sense of what I have written.

        Thank you for offering to help and showing an interest in my tree.