East London Cemetery Chapel, Plaistow, Essex War Memorial Plaques

  • michlorcon
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2013
      I am researching my family history and in my search to try to locate World War 1 war memorials local to Plaistow, Essex I have also found there are stone WW1 memorial plaques which are on the outside of the chapel in East London Cemetery, Plaistow but the names are now illegible due to weather and unfortunately, the names are not recorded anywhere else but the East London Cemetery will restore the memorial plaques once they receive the names which were originally recorded. Apparently, postcards bearing the names of the war dead from the Great War were given out at the time of the unveiling of the plaques. Does anyone know where I could possibly locate the memorial postcard?

      Any advice would be most welcomed.

      Thank you.

      Michelle
    • Loraine
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2013
        Hi Michelle,
        Found this site not sure if its what you are looking for
        best wishes
        Loraine

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2013
          Hi Michelle,
          Did you check this site out www.newhamstory.com
          also a postcard of Plaistow memorial sold on ebay last month hoping I can add the picture here. Sorry it won't let me. Did you also read this? http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/wanted_your_help_in_restoring_plaistow_war_dead_memorial_1_990148

          Good luck

          Barbara

          --- In EastLondonFamilyHistory@..., "michlorcon" <michlorcon@...> wrote:

          > I am researching my family history and in my search to try to locate World War 1 war memorials local to Plaistow, Essex I have also found there are stone WW1 memorial plaques which are on the outside of the chapel in East London Cemetery, Plaistow but the names are now illegible due to weather and unfortunately, the names are not recorded anywhere else but the East London Cemetery will restore the memorial plaques once they receive the names which were originally recorded. Apparently, postcards bearing the names of the war dead from the Great War were given out at the time of the unveiling of the plaques. Does anyone know where I could possibly locate the memorial postcard?
          >
          > Any advice would be most welcomed.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Michelle

        • bubblybabs1