James Jones,mariner

  • bubblybabs1
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2014

      Hi,

      I have James Jones mariner b1806 believe St Micheals, London father Robert.

      Does anyone know where I can find the records for Mariners.

      Barbara

    • JULIA MILLS
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2014
        don,t think i have mariner.  i got messenger. from rotherhithe for many years since 1800

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2014
          Hi Barbara,
          I found some seaman's records on both FindMyPast and ancestry. It's a bit hit and miss. But if you have birth year and birth place that will help.
          Colleen
        • bubblybabs1
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2014
            Hi  Colleen ,
            James Jones was born 1806 city of London. I hope this helps track him down. His father was Richard Jones.
            I know he was married pre 1838 as then he married again  but can't find a record of his first marriage.

            Barbara
          • Colleen
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 12, 2014
              Hi Barbara,
              I can't do much at the moment - on a borrowed computer just doing emails. Kittens chewed the chord of my battery charger which then hissed, then smoked, then gave up the ghost. So I'll have to source a new charger. Then I'll be able to do some lookups.
              In the meantime - are there any other group members who have access to either FindMyPast or ancestry - and could search seaman's records for James Jones born London c1806. That's the only info you'll need for the seaman's records.
              Thanks in anticipation.
              Colleen

              To: EastLondonFamilyHistory@...

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2014
                Hi Barbara

                There are 3 possible James Jones in the BT 120-3 and BT 112-35 registers for 1835-40
                All born in London.
                2501 age 30 mariner on the James Watt of London
                3062 age 30 mariner on the Edinburgh of St. John's N.B.
                2659 age 28 2nd Mate on the Dibden of Quebec

                There was no other personal information

                Regards

                David
              • bubblybabs1
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 14, 2014

                  Hi David,

                  Can you actually see the records for London born Mariners 1835-40 or do you have to purchase the record?

                  Barbara