FCD Up_Converter

  • Rob M0TFO
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 27, 2011
      Hi All
      Ok built and tried the FCD Up-converter design found here
      http://www.george-smart.co.uk/wiki/FunCube_Upconverter

      It would be good to have a discussion on improvements, designs and findings.
      If your not that keen on building your own up converter etc and would like to purchase
      Filters, upconverters, etc visit here

      http://www.hsmicrowave.com/page31.html

      Rob
    • manxmat@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 27, 2011
        Looks a great piece of kit Rob - hope I'm not posting 'out of topic' - have just completed the build of a 'Hunter' kit :-

        http://www.radio-kits.co.uk/

        Very impressed with it so far, have lost a diode during constuction, so missing top band & 80m, - there might be a 'way' by reducing the clock mulitplier from x4 to x3 with this kit, so I can get 6m with this - if this is possible - along with using the FCD, it could be possible for something that will cover SDR from a couple of Mhz, to 2Ghz :)....

        - This is working brilliantly with Simon's, HB9DRV (GD4ELI as we like to know him when he's on the IOM) software.

        - Sorry if I'm posting of topic - just looking for an SDR 'solution' that can fill in the gaps between HF-6m and the awesome features we have with the FCD :)

        Matty

        MD0MAN

        --- In FCDevelopment@..., "Rob M0TFO" <robpegs@...> wrote:

        > Hi All
        > Ok built and tried the FCD Up-converter design found here
        > http://www.george-smart.co.uk/wiki/FunCube_Upconverter
        >

        > It would be good to have a discussion on improvements, designs and findings.
        > If your not that keen on building your own up converter etc and would like to purchase
        > Filters, upconverters, etc visit here
        >
        > http://www.hsmicrowave.com/page31.html
        >

        > Rob

      • Rob Styles
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 27, 2011
          Hi Matty
          No thats fine, thats why I moved it to this group.
          Not my design, but nice and simple and works well, I'm spending this week trying to make it a lot smaller
          and add some improvements, and wonder what other people think. it could benefit from.
          Always the way,I could build a brand new radio with all the bits I've lost over the years
          Hunter kit is great, and you get a lot of change back..
          Rob
          On 27 Oct 2011, at 22:55, manxmat@... wrote:

          Looks a great piece of kit Rob - hope I'm not posting 'out of topic' - have just completed the build of a 'Hunter' kit :-

          http://www.radio-kits.co.uk/

          Very impressed with it so far, have lost a diode during constuction, so missing top band & 80m, - there might be a 'way' by reducing the clock mulitplier from x4 to x3 with this kit, so I can get 6m with this - if this is possible - along with using the FCD, it could be possible for something that will cover SDR from a couple of Mhz, to 2Ghz :)....

          - This is working brilliantly with Simon's, HB9DRV (GD4ELI as we like to know him when he's on the IOM) software.

          - Sorry if I'm posting of topic - just looking for an SDR 'solution' that can fill in the gaps between HF-6m and the awesome features we have with the FCD :)

          Matty

          MD0MAN

          --- In FCDevelopment@..., "Rob M0TFO" <robpegs@...> wrote:

          > Hi All
          > Ok built and tried the FCD Up-converter design found here
          > http://www.george-smart.co.uk/wiki/FunCube_Upconverter
          >

          > It would be good to have a discussion on improvements, designs and findings.
          > If your not that keen on building your own up converter etc and would like to purchase
          > Filters, upconverters, etc visit here
          >
          > http://www.hsmicrowave.com/page31.html
          >

          > Rob

        • Bob
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2012
            I have been trying to build the George-Smart Upconverter for the FunCube dongle to be able to get HF signals. I have the board made and most of the components, but I am having a problem trying to decifer some of the nomenclature.
            1. The design calls for a 220n capacitor. I assume that this is 220 nanoFarads. Please someone let me know if that is correct. If it is, I am having a problem trying to find capacitors of that value here. Can anyone lead me to a stateside supplier.

            2. The design also calls for a 59pF resistor. I can find 56 pF but no 59. I can go through a bunch of the 56 capacitors and check with a multimulti meter an find a few that read 58pF.

            3. For resistors, the design calls for two 292R, which I assume is 292 ohms. Correct?

            4. There is also a 17R6 resistor. I don't know what that value is. Can someone enlighten me.

            I am not generally a kit builder, but the FunCube has really generated my interest and I am willing to give it a try. I have all of the other components. It is only the items above that I need help understanding.

            Thanks

            Bob/kg2rp
          • Rob Styles
            Message 5 of 12 , May 5, 2012
              Hi Bob
              Hope this helps

              Number 4 = 17.6  Ohm resistor
              Number 3= 292 Ohms
              number 2= These values are for the Low Pass Filter, and are for Capacitors NOT resistors.
              Number 1= Yes 200nF or 0.2uF

              Rob
              M0TFO

              Message 6 of 12 , May 5, 2012
                Bob

                Take a look at this circuit for Tony's Converter http://www.ct1ffu.com/site/fcd-hf-kit.pdf you can leave out the High Pass filter until you have it up and running, you can even leave out the Low Pass Filter until you have it up and running, for the mixer IC, a SA612AN or NE602 works fine. The SA612AN Data does state working voltage min of 4.5V but it ticks over fine on 3.3v, I have built Both converters,so if you need any help email me off group.
                Rob
                M0TFO

                --- In FCDevelopment@..., Rob Styles <robpegs@...> wrote:

                > Hi Bob
                > Hope this helps
                >
                > Number 4 = 17.6 Ohm resistor
                > Number 3= 292 Ohms
                > number 2= These values are for the Low Pass Filter, and are for Capacitors NOT resistors.
                > Number 1= Yes 200nF or 0.2uF
                >
                > Rob
                > M0TFO
                >

                > On 5 May 2012, at 07:43, Bob wrote:
                >
                > > I have been trying to build the George-Smart Upconverter for the FunCube dongle to be able to get HF signals. I have the board made and most of the components, but I am having a problem trying to decifer some of the nomenclature.
                > > 1. The design calls for a 220n capacitor. I assume that this is 220 nanoFarads. Please someone let me know if that is correct. If it is, I am having a problem trying to find capacitors of that value here. Can anyone lead me to a stateside supplier.
                > >
                > > 2. The design also calls for a 59pF resistor. I can find 56 pF but no 59. I can go through a bunch of the 56 capacitors and check with a multimulti meter an find a few that read 58pF.
                > >
                > > 3. For resistors, the design calls for two 292R, which I assume is 292 ohms. Correct?
                > >
                > > 4. There is also a 17R6 resistor. I don't know what that value is. Can someone enlighten me.
                > >
                > > I am not generally a kit builder, but the FunCube has really generated my interest and I am willing to give it a try. I have all of the other components. It is only the items above that I need help understanding.
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > >
                > > Bob/kg2rp

              • Jesus Martínez
                Message 7 of 12 , May 5, 2012
                  I think George wrote theorical values, not commercial ones (not very smart), I have some experience building kits, you have to get nearest values to theorical ones, these values are not critical, and components have some tolerance (5%, 1% best ones), so not very important exact values,when precision is necessary, you can aproximate values, you can get 59 pf putting together (parallel) 56 + 1 +1 pf or a variable capacitor (trimmer) from 20 to 100 pf (but you will have to adjust after).

                  So, you have to get most accurate value components, not exact value is needed.

                  Sorry for my bad English, my native language is Spanish.

                  Best regards.

                  Jesus.

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 5, 2012
                    Not very good converter, Gerge-Smart is better, you can read why here:

                    http://home.tiscali.nl/curious_about/PA1DSP/Articles/why_not_to_use_the_ne602_.doc/index.html

                    2012/5/5 Rob M0TFO <robpegs@...>

                    Bob

                    Take a look at this circuit for Tony's Converter http://www.ct1ffu.com/site/fcd-hf-kit.pdf you can leave out the High Pass filter until you have it up and running, you can even leave out the Low Pass Filter until you have it up and running, for the mixer IC, a SA612AN or NE602 works fine. The SA612AN Data does state working voltage min of 4.5V but it ticks over fine on 3.3v, I have built Both converters,so if you need any help email me off group.
                    Rob
                    M0TFO

                    --- In FCDevelopment@..., Rob Styles <robpegs@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Bob
                    > Hope this helps
                    >
                    > Number 4 = 17.6 Ohm resistor
                    > Number 3= 292 Ohms
                    > number 2= These values are for the Low Pass Filter, and are for Capacitors NOT resistors.
                    > Number 1= Yes 200nF or 0.2uF
                    >
                    > Rob
                    > M0TFO
                    >

                    > On 5 May 2012, at 07:43, Bob wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have been trying to build the George-Smart Upconverter for the FunCube dongle to be able to get HF signals. I have the board made and most of the components, but I am having a problem trying to decifer some of the nomenclature.
                    > > 1. The design calls for a 220n capacitor. I assume that this is 220 nanoFarads. Please someone let me know if that is correct. If it is, I am having a problem trying to find capacitors of that value here. Can anyone lead me to a stateside supplier.
                    > >
                    > > 2. The design also calls for a 59pF resistor. I can find 56 pF but no 59. I can go through a bunch of the 56 capacitors and check with a multimulti meter an find a few that read 58pF.
                    > >
                    > > 3. For resistors, the design calls for two 292R, which I assume is 292 ohms. Correct?
                    > >
                    > > 4. There is also a 17R6 resistor. I don't know what that value is. Can someone enlighten me.
                    > >
                    > > I am not generally a kit builder, but the FunCube has really generated my interest and I am willing to give it a try. I have all of the other components. It is only the items above that I need help understanding.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > >
                    > > Bob/kg2rp

                  • Rob Styles
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 5, 2012
                      I can cross reference all the components used, and end up with a blank PCB, The NE602 works fine for this simple circuit
                      if I was building a K2 then I would read what's best or not. I tried 4 different mixers and the SA612AN (NE602) worked the
                      best in my case.
                      I do agree it's not the best converter, but again I have 4 converters here,all different in design, and it's not far off the others.
                      Rob

                      2012/5/5 Rob M0TFO <robpegs@...>

                      Bob

                      Take a look at this circuit for Tony's Converter http://www.ct1ffu.com/site/fcd-hf-kit.pdf you can leave out the High Pass filter until you have it up and running, you can even leave out the Low Pass Filter until you have it up and running, for the mixer IC, a SA612AN or NE602 works fine. The SA612AN Data does state working voltage min of 4.5V but it ticks over fine on 3.3v, I have built Both converters,so if you need any help email me off group.
                      Rob
                      M0TFO

                      --- In FCDevelopment@..., Rob Styles <robpegs@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Bob
                      > Hope this helps
                      >
                      > Number 4 = 17.6 Ohm resistor
                      > Number 3= 292 Ohms
                      > number 2= These values are for the Low Pass Filter, and are for Capacitors NOT resistors.
                      > Number 1= Yes 200nF or 0.2uF
                      >
                      > Rob
                      > M0TFO
                      >

                      > On 5 May 2012, at 07:43, Bob wrote:
                      >
                      > > I have been trying to build the George-Smart Upconverter for the FunCube dongle to be able to get HF signals. I have the board made and most of the components, but I am having a problem trying to decifer some of the nomenclature.
                      > > 1. The design calls for a 220n capacitor. I assume that this is 220 nanoFarads. Please someone let me know if that is correct. If it is, I am having a problem trying to find capacitors of that value here. Can anyone lead me to a stateside supplier.
                      > >
                      > > 2. The design also calls for a 59pF resistor. I can find 56 pF but no 59. I can go through a bunch of the 56 capacitors and check with a multimulti meter an find a few that read 58pF.
                      > >
                      > > 3. For resistors, the design calls for two 292R, which I assume is 292 ohms. Correct?
                      > >
                      > > 4. There is also a 17R6 resistor. I don't know what that value is. Can someone enlighten me.
                      > >
                      > > I am not generally a kit builder, but the FunCube has really generated my interest and I am willing to give it a try. I have all of the other components. It is only the items above that I need help understanding.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks
                      > >
                      > > Bob/kg2rp

                    • Rob Styles
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 5, 2012
                        I did read a document the other day, "why not to use a wire dipole."  and the answer is short was a beam works better.
                        I guess that took a lot of thought…

                        Guess I had better go and remove all my dipoles and buy a beam..:-)

                        2012/5/5 Rob M0TFO <robpegs@...>

                        Bob

                        Take a look at this circuit for Tony's Converter http://www.ct1ffu.com/site/fcd-hf-kit.pdf you can leave out the High Pass filter until you have it up and running, you can even leave out the Low Pass Filter until you have it up and running, for the mixer IC, a SA612AN or NE602 works fine. The SA612AN Data does state working voltage min of 4.5V but it ticks over fine on 3.3v, I have built Both converters,so if you need any help email me off group.
                        Rob
                        M0TFO

                        --- In FCDevelopment@..., Rob Styles <robpegs@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Bob
                        > Hope this helps
                        >
                        > Number 4 = 17.6 Ohm resistor
                        > Number 3= 292 Ohms
                        > number 2= These values are for the Low Pass Filter, and are for Capacitors NOT resistors.
                        > Number 1= Yes 200nF or 0.2uF
                        >
                        > Rob
                        > M0TFO
                        >

                        > On 5 May 2012, at 07:43, Bob wrote:
                        >
                        > > I have been trying to build the George-Smart Upconverter for the FunCube dongle to be able to get HF signals. I have the board made and most of the components, but I am having a problem trying to decifer some of the nomenclature.
                        > > 1. The design calls for a 220n capacitor. I assume that this is 220 nanoFarads. Please someone let me know if that is correct. If it is, I am having a problem trying to find capacitors of that value here. Can anyone lead me to a stateside supplier.
                        > >
                        > > 2. The design also calls for a 59pF resistor. I can find 56 pF but no 59. I can go through a bunch of the 56 capacitors and check with a multimulti meter an find a few that read 58pF.
                        > >
                        > > 3. For resistors, the design calls for two 292R, which I assume is 292 ohms. Correct?
                        > >
                        > > 4. There is also a 17R6 resistor. I don't know what that value is. Can someone enlighten me.
                        > >
                        > > I am not generally a kit builder, but the FunCube has really generated my interest and I am willing to give it a try. I have all of the other components. It is only the items above that I need help understanding.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks
                        > >
                        > > Bob/kg2rp

                      • Bob Bennett
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 5, 2012
                          Thanks Rob. Those resistor values have been hard to find, but I will check again today. If I can't find them, I will use the next highest value

                          ___
                          Bob

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 5, 2012
                            Rob,
                            This is a good article. It explains the functions very well, for someone inexperienced like me. When I finish George's I will this one a try.

                            Bob - Sent from my iPad