Re: [FCDevelopment] Re: Gqrx problem

  • Alexandru Csete
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2012
      Hi Darren,

      It can also be an issue with the output device. Note that the recent
      code autodetects the FCD and it doesn't matter what you type in the
      input device field.

      Try in grc the simple dial tone flow graph at 48 kHz, then if it works
      use the same output device in gqrx.

      Since gqrx doesn't do any interfacing to audio hardware or drivers (it
      only uses gnuradio), the only thing I can do about it is to debug the
      obsolete interface in gnuradio or to write my own audio backend. I
      have planned to do the latter but given how much time I have left for
      coding these days, I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

      Alex

      On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:36 AM, g0hww <darren.long@...> wrote:
      > I've been having this issue persistently on an EEE-901 netbook running
      > Crunchbang Linux Statler distro (a derivative of Debian Squeeze).
      >
      > The FCD seems to work  on the netbook OK with gnuradio-companion, but I
      > get the stream of "aUaO" characters, the occasional "I/Q: nan/nan" and a
      > pretty pink waterfall in gqrx. I can run gnuradio-companion immediately
      > after failing with gqrx and its all good.
      >
      > Running "cat /proc/asound/cards" shows the FCD on hw:1 as expected.
      >
      > I've got it all working on a Ubuntu 10.04 machine including gqrx, so I'm
      > familiar enough with  the process.  I've been building gqrx from git in
      > QT-Creator.
      >
      > The netbook didn't formerly have pulseaudio installed.  I satisfied the
      > build deps by installing it, but otherwise have done nothing special to
      > configure pulse on the netbook.
      >
      > Can you offer any clues?  If you're making changes to gqrx to mitigate
      > this issue, and need beta testers, I'd be happy to help.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Darren, G0HWW
      >

      > --- In FCDevelopment@..., Simon Kennedy <simon@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi Alex,
      >>
      >> unfortunately it doesn't disappear after a reboot here, but the
      > problem
      >> with the FCD taking device 0 is annoying because it seems that other
      >> programs, like Quisk, expect the output sound device to be on hw:0. It
      >> seems like an entry in a file in /etc/modprobe.d can fix that but I
      >> haven't looked into it enough to work out how.
      >>
      >> I look forward to your new audio backend.
      >>
      >> Simon.
      >>
      >> On 17/11/11 17:24, Alexandru Csete wrote:
      >> >
      >> > Hi Simon,
      >> >
      >> > Concerning the audio overrun (aOaO...) issue, I have seen it a few
      >> > times on a laptop but it always disappears after reboot. I suspect
      > it
      >> > is a hardware and/or driver issue but I don't have sufficient info
      >> > find out more about it.
      >> >
      >> > I am working on a new audio backend for gqrx which will hopefully
      >> > eliminate both the aO issue and the problem with changing device
      > names.
      >> >
      >> > Alex

    • Darren Long
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2012
        Hi Alex,

        Thanks for the response.  Sorry to bother you with this.

        I tried the dial_tone example in grc at 48kHz. I let it use the default audio device and it worked ok, as does the FM receiver example. I then explicitly set the sink to hw:0 in grc which should be the same as the default, and that worked too.

        Using hw:1 as input and hw:0 as output in gqrx still results in aUaO chars and the pink waterfall as before even after a reboot.

        Just for a change, I plugged my SignalinkUSB in and selected the new hw:2 device for output in gqrx, which gave the same results as before. It seemed to work ok in grc but no change from before in gqrx.

        Cheers,

        Darren

      • Simon Kennedy
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2012
          Darren,

          after my initial success with the FCD and gqrx on Ubuntu 11.04 (but now upgraded to 11.10) a few months ago I then inexplicably found that I got the a0 overflow message constantly. After seeing these recent messages and that Alex has updated qthid I have had another look at it tonight.

          I experienced the same overflow problem tonight in gnuradio so know this is not a gqrx problem. After a bit of Googling I found references that suggested the problem might lie with the USB port. I have had the FCD plugged into the USB ports on the front of the case, which is connected to the USB header on the motherboard.

          I also have a multi-card reader for CF/MC/SD etc etc which has 3 USB ports. I plugged the FCD into one of these ports and it works in gnuradio :-)

          Another night I'll try to compile gqrx but I think I'll go back to first principles and install everything from scratch to make sure it has a clean build.

          Not the same problem as you have but thought I'd add my experience and I'm very pleased that I might be able to get the FCD working on Ubuntu again.

          Regards

          Simon.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 11, 2012
              Hi Simon,

              I'm glad to hear that. Maybe the kernel or the audio driver got updated?
              I too have a laptop where gqrx worked fine on Ubuntu 11.04, then after upgrading to 11.10 with kernel 3.0 I started to get audio overruns. Haven't tried it for a while, though.

              Alex