Bias tee

  • haroldpearce94
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 21, 2012
      HI all, just joined the group new to sdr but an old Ham G4bxc ,Have a FCD and a High Sierra Microwave H F converter 5-55 mhz ,but when i try to use the bias tee power it switch's on and off when i change freq, even when the bios tee box is ticked ,also i cant seem to turn it off to enable me to use external dc .Help please. best 73s Harold G4bxc
    • siegfried jackstien
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 21, 2012
        What soft are you using???
        If you use the right dll together with a winradclone (or simons sdr console)
        then the phantom power should work
        If you use the fchid frontend then make sure to use the right one
        There is a basic frontend and a full frontend with the if saettings i(q
        correction etc.)

        ... did you upgrade the firmware of the new fcd?!?

        The newest firmware solves a few things

        Basic firmware is just for test in the lab after producing the fcd ... so
        upgrading to new firmware is needed!!

        Give us some details to better help you

        Greetz

        Sigi
        Dg9bfc (a happy fcd owner *g*)

      • Bill Ress
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 21, 2012
          Hi Harold,

          Perhaps we need some further clarification.

          I'm using SDR Console 1.5 Build 879 and when I select the Bias Tee box
          it stays checked when I change frequency while it's powering the
          FCD-5-55-UC. Unchecking the box does indeed turn off the bias tee
          feature. The FCD-5-55-UC also has the external DC feedthru which can be
          used to power the converter if the bias tee feature is not available on
          the early versions of the FCD.

          But be sure that you don't have external DC power applied to the
          converter while you try to power it from the FCD.

          Regards...Bill - N6GHz

          --
          Regards...Bill Ress
          High Sierra Microwave
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 22, 2012
            Hi Bill

            Thanks for your swift reply. Currently I am running a v1.1FCD, software v1.5beta build 847. I looks as if I need to upgrade the software. Would you agree?

            Regards

            Harold G4BXC

            Perhaps we need some further clarification.

            I'm using SDR Console 1.5 Build 879 and when I select the Bias Tee box
            it stays checked when I change frequency while it's powering the
            FCD-5-55-UC. Unchecking the box does indeed turn off the bias tee
            feature. The FCD-5-55-UC also has the external DC feedthru which can be
            used to power the converter if the bias tee feature is not available on
            the early versions of the FCD.

            But be sure that you don't have external DC power applied to the
            converter while you try to power it from the FCD.

            Regards...Bill - N6GHz

            On 1/21/2012 1:10 PM, haroldpearce94 wrote:
            > HI all, just joined the group new to sdr but an old Ham G4bxc ,Have a
            > FCD and a High Sierra Microwave H F converter 5-55 mhz ,but when i try
            > to use the bias tee power it switch's on and off when i change freq,
            > even when the bios tee box is ticked ,also i cant seem to turn it off to
            > enable me to use external dc .Help please. best 73s Harold G4bxc

            --
            Regards...Bill Ress
            High Sierra Microwave

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                FCDevelopment-digest@...
                FCDevelopment-fullfeatured@...

                http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html

          • Harold Pearce
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 22, 2012
              Hi Siegfried

              Thanks for the swift reply. I am currently using v1.1FCD, v1.5beta build 847 software.

              Thanks again for your very useful reply

              Regards

              Harold G4BXC

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 22, 2012
                Did you upgrade the firmware to 18i???

                Dg9bfc
                Sigi

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 23, 2012

                  HI Sigi ,Idid upgrade to18 6  when Ifirst had the fcd  ,regards H, G4bxc

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 24, 2012
                    Hmm ... as far as i know the newest is not 18.6 (18f) ..
                    Newest is 18i or 18.9 ....
                    That solves a few "faults" like wrong filter setting in some frequencies and
                    "a glitch" that some stations reported caused by a timing fault (I don’t
                    remember well and can not exactly explain it so other group members maybe
                    can explain that better)....

                    So newest is 18 india

                    Greetz sigi

                    Dg9bfc

                  • g0fcu
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 24, 2012
                      Harold,

                      I think what Sigi is trying to tell you nicely is that to use bias tee you need to upgrade to a version of firmware that supports it.

                      As far as I know 18f does not and you need to upgrade to 18i.

                      Do that and if it still doesn't work ask another question.

                      Regards

                      Simon.
                      G0FCU.

                      --- In FCDevelopment@..., "siegfried jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

                      > Hmm ... as far as i know the newest is not 18.6 (18f) ..
                      > Newest is 18i or 18.9 ....
                      > That solves a few "faults" like wrong filter setting in some frequencies and
                      > "a glitch" that some stations reported caused by a timing fault (I don't
                      > remember well and can not exactly explain it so other group members maybe
                      > can explain that better)....
                      >
                      > So newest is 18 india
                      >
                      > Greetz sigi
                      >
                      > Dg9bfc

                    • Alberto I2PHD
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 24, 2012
                        --- In FCDevelopment@..., "siegfried jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

                        > Hmm ... as far as i know the newest is not 18.6 (18f) ..
                        > Newest is 18i or 18.9 ....

                        Isn't the latest 18j  (18.10) ? Or am I missing something ?

                        --
                        73 Alberto I2PHD
                      • Simon Kennedy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 24, 2012

                          Alberto,

                          You are correct but 18j is shown on the website as being in testing. So only for expert users?

                          Simon.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 24, 2012
                            Ahh yes ... correct ... i made a mistake there
                            18.10 is latest :-)

                            Dg9bfc
                            Sigi

                            I should not answer emails before my first coffee :-)