ExtIO.dll

  • Leif Asbrink
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012
      Hi All,

      I am new in this list, I do not own a FunCube myself, but
      as the author of Linrad, a fairly general SDR program I am
      interested in having the FunCube dongle working well with
      my software.

      Linrad works with a couple of different ExtIO dll files, but
      there are problems with the ExtIO_FCD_G0MJW.dll file for
      FunCube.

      Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. It seems to me that
      there is a bug in the dll that causes writes outside some
      buffer area. I can move the dll load and call to the InitHW
      entry to various places in the Linrad code and as it turns out
      the result differs in an unexpected way. The original
      place (linrad-03.33 and earlier) sometimes works, sometimes not.
      By making the load library and InitHW the very first statements
      in the Linrad code it seems I can get the FunCube work reliably.

      When I move the FC initialization further down the code in
      Linrads main routine some places make the dll work, but cause
      an error on the exit from Linrad. It seems that placing the
      FC stuff first when all data memory is undefined makes writes
      outside bounds harmless.

      I have searched info about this dll but I found nothing.
      In what environment is it built? Can it be built for
      Linux and Mac OS X also?

      73

      Leif / SM5BSZ
    • mike.willis@stfc.ac.uk
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2012
        It is writtein in Borland BDS2006 and if there is a bug I am not at all surprised as I am not a programmer. The question is where is the bug?

        Porting to a differnt environment would be difficult but not impossible. The main problem is it is a lot of work if you are not familiar with the new environment.

        Mike

        --- In FCDevelopment@..., Leif Asbrink <leif@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am new in this list, I do not own a FunCube myself, but
        > as the author of Linrad, a fairly general SDR program I am
        > interested in having the FunCube dongle working well with
        > my software.
        >
        > Linrad works with a couple of different ExtIO dll files, but
        > there are problems with the ExtIO_FCD_G0MJW.dll file for
        > FunCube.
        >
        > Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. It seems to me that
        > there is a bug in the dll that causes writes outside some
        > buffer area. I can move the dll load and call to the InitHW
        > entry to various places in the Linrad code and as it turns out
        > the result differs in an unexpected way. The original
        > place (linrad-03.33 and earlier) sometimes works, sometimes not.
        > By making the load library and InitHW the very first statements
        > in the Linrad code it seems I can get the FunCube work reliably.
        >
        > When I move the FC initialization further down the code in
        > Linrads main routine some places make the dll work, but cause
        > an error on the exit from Linrad. It seems that placing the
        > FC stuff first when all data memory is undefined makes writes
        > outside bounds harmless.
        >
        > I have searched info about this dll but I found nothing.
        > In what environment is it built? Can it be built for
        > Linux and Mac OS X also?
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Leif / SM5BSZ

      • Leif Asbrink
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2012
          Hello Mike,

          > It is writtein in Borland BDS2006 and if there is
          > a bug I am not at all surprised as I am not a
          > programmer. The question is where is the bug?
          Well, hard to say without access to the source code;-)

          > Porting to a differnt environment would be difficult
          > but not impossible. The main problem is it is a lot
          > of work if you are not familiar with the new environment.
          I am not familiar to BDS2006 so I have no idea what
          specific functions it might supply and to what extent
          you are using them. It would however be pretty
          straight-forward to run the source code through the latest
          version of the gcc compiler.

          Error checking is improving over time and today the
          gcc compiler will detect a lot of errors that were not
          detected by earlier compilers.

          Maybe there is an option in BDS2006 to enable a debug
          option to do boundary checking. It seems to me that the
          problem could be caused by writes outside allocated memory.

          73

          Leif / SM5BSZ