Noise blanker fails on adjacent strong signals.

  • Leif Asbrink
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2012
      Hi All,

      Noise blankers are sometimes very efficient in reducing man made
      noise. It is well known however that strong signals within the
      blanker bandwidth often renders the blanker useless.

      Today, with SDR technology it is possible to do much better, but
      as far as I know not very much work has yet been put into developing
      appropriate algorithms.

      I write this mail because I want to come in contact with people who
      have these specific circumstances in receiver operation:

      1) Strong local QRN (preferrably powerline in dry weather that
      disappears in rainy weather.)

      2) A conventional noise blanker works well and reduces the
      interference by at least 3 S units (when there is no strong
      signal on an adjacent frequency.)

      3) The ability to copy weak signals is completely lost when a
      strong signal is present on an adjacent frequency because
      the blanker will then not work.

      4) In case the problems are detected with some conventional
      transceiver, an attempt to resolve it by use of a SDR
      system (borrowed or your own) has not led to a significant
      improvement.

      In case you find yourself as a candidate to meet the above
      requirements I have a great interest in getting wideband
      recordings from a SDR system at your location.

      Please respond to leif[[[at]]]sm5bsz.com

      Some QRN situations can already be managed quite well with
      Linrad and I need good examples to demonstrate how to use
      the Linrad noise blankers.

      Other QRN situations can not be well managed within Linrad
      and I am interested in the wideband recordings to be able
      to use them for the developmment of better algorithms.

      73

      Leif / SM5BSZ

      http://sm5bsz.com