Boops not Sarpa

  • DOUGLAS HERDSON
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2009
      Dear All

      You may have read of a rare sea bream the Saupe (or Salema) Sarpa salpa being caught off Cornwall (it was reported in the Cornish Times and the The Star!).

      I have recently seen photos of this fish and it is not a Saupe but a Bogue Boops boops.
      .
      The Bogue was caught in a red mullet net in 10 metres of water about half a mile off the shore at Seaton, south east Cornwall, by Chris Dominic on the FV Emma May, on Sunday 2nd August 2009.

      This fish was about 17 cm (6 - 7"), but they can grow to 38 cm (14").  They are a shoaling fish and are a commercial species in southern Europe.  Being a member of the sea bream family I presume they are good eating.  They are rare in British waters and most have been caught in the Channel Islands, but they have also been found in Torbay and several other places.   They are regularly caught in red mullet nets in Mount's Bay Cornwall in the autumn, but this is the first I had heard of from Whitsand Bay.

      There will probably be a piece and photo in next week's Fishing News

      Regards, Doug

      Doug Herdson
      Marine Fish Information Services
      94 Dunstone View