Re: [Glaucus] Dead fish on Cornwall beach?

  • David Fenwick Snr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2009
      Dear All,
      Just been down to Charlestown, St. Austell Bay, to look at the algae bloom
      as it's only a few miles away from home. I was extremely surprised to hear
      of this on the news last night, I was only on the cliffs above Charlestown
      the day before and took images of the harbour. The water quality looked
      pretty good from afar and there were plenty of people swimming.

      It was nearing high tide when I looked this morning and the water looked
      fairly clear with little sign of sediment or foam. Absolutely no fish being
      washed up, not even small ones. Seagulls might have got there before me but
      there were no clues at all that might indicate that this is a serious
      incident given the state of the tide.

      Off to Spit Point this afternoon at low tide, an important site and my local
      haunt, similar in nature to Wembury and Hannafore, situated between Par
      Beach and Charlestown, has a very wide range of rockpool and shellfish so
      it'll be good to check on the health of everything down there. Will report
      back later.

      Best Wishes,
      Dave

      David Fenwick
      3 Post Office Terrace,
      Nanpean,
      Nr. St. Austell,
      Cornwall.
      PL26 7YF
      Tel: 01726 824714
      Mobile: 07901 633943

      Websites
      Dave Fenwick - Services Offered
      www.davefenwick.com

      A Photographic Library
      of Gardening and Horticulture
      http://www.davefenwick.com/horticulture/

      The African Garden
      www.theafricangarden.com

      A Photo Flora of the Devon and Cornwall Peninsula and West Yorkshire
      www.aphotoflora.com

      A Photo Fauna of the Devon and Cornwall Peninsula
      www.aphotofauna.com

      A Photo Fungi of the Devon and Cornwall Peninsula
      www.aphotofungi.com

      Carol's Cornwall
      www.carolscornwall.com