Re: Visiting species at John o'Groats

  • quigleydeclan
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2009
      Hello Chris,

      Thetys vagina has been rarely recorded in Irish waters. The species was reported for the first time in Irish waters during November 1988 when hundreds of specimens were taken in trawls at offshore positions: 55 30'N, 08 20' - 10 50'W. A few specimens were also found stranded on Ventry Beach, near Dingle, Co Kerry during July 1987 & 1988 (Minchin 1991 Irish Naturalists' Journal 23: 494; Quigley & Flannery 1992 INJ 24: 161).

      Pelagia noctiluca has been recorded more frequently in Irish waters, often in great abundance but only sporadically (O'Connor & McGrath 2001 INJ 26: 378-379).

      Best Regards,

      Declan