Re: [Glaucus] American Lobsters (English Channel)

  • Alison Mayor
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
      Hi Andy,

      As local divers in the Selsey / Solent area I'd be interested to know if it was
      easy to spot the difference between the Amaerican Lobster and our own
      British/European Lobster.  Are they easy to tell apart?  What do I need to look
      for?  Will certainly try to photograph/report any I may come across.

      Regards

      Ali Mayor
      Southsea Sub-Aqua Club
      ..><(((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸.·´¯'·...¸><(((º>¸.
      ><(((º>·´¯'·.¸. , . .·´¯'·.. ><(((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·, .
      .·´¯'·..¸><(((º>

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
        The only textbook way I know - Homarus americanus has a spine on the underside of its rostrum, H. gammarus does not. For that you'll need to get close. If you've looked at enough of both over the years, you can spot the difference a mile off...

        Odd ones have been turning up for decades.

        Cheers,

        Andrew

        As local divers in the Selsey / Solent area I'd be interested to know if it was
        easy to spot the difference between the Amaerican Lobster and our own
        British/European Lobster. Are they easy to tell apart? What do I need to look
        for? Will certainly try to photograph/report any I may come across.

        Regards

        Ali Mayor
        Southsea Sub-Aqua Club
        ..><(((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸.·´¯'·...¸><(((º>¸.
        ><(((º>·´¯'·.¸. , . .·´¯'·.. ><(((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·, .
        .·´¯'·..¸><(((º>

        ________________________________
        FISHERY experts are continuing to investigate reports that potentially
        damaging Canadian lobster are being found off the southwest Coast of
        England. There are fears that these alien visitors threaten Britain's own
        lobster catching industry which is worth almost £40-million a year.

        http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/14788

        June 2002
        An American Lobster, Homarus americanus, was discovered captured by a
        fishing vessel on a boat out of Selsey, West Sussex. A few specimens have
        been caught before in the approaches to Southampton Water.

        Report by Robert Clark (Sussex Sea Fisheries Committee)

        http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Lobster.htm

        I would be interested in hearing of further captures.

        Cheers

        Andy Horton.
        bmlss@...
        Alternative EMail: Glaucus@...
        ><< ( ( ( ' >
        British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
        http://www.glaucus.org.uk/

        MARINE LIFE NEWS BULLETIN TORPEDO
        http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm
        New Image Uploading Service:
        http://www.flickr.com/groups/glaucus/
        Marine Fish Group (NE Atlantic)
        http://www.flickr.com/groups/marinefish/
        Facebook: British Marine Life Study Society
        http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid112629298750125
        ><< ( ( ( ' >

      • Steve McWilliam
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
          Andy

          Which actual species is teh American Lobster involved in this (Scientific/Latin name ??) ??

          Cheers.

          Steve
          Steve J. McWilliam
          Guitar Tab: http://www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/tab.htm
          ShutterStock Photos: http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=9329
          rECOrd - (Cheshire's LRC): http://www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

          As local divers in the Selsey / Solent area I'd be interested to know if it was

          easy to spot the difference between the Amaerican Lobster and our own

          British/European Lobster.  Are they easy to tell apart?  What do I need to look

          for?  Will certainly try to photograph/report any I may come across.

          Regards

          Ali Mayor

          Southsea Sub-Aqua Club

          ..><(((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸.·´¯'·...¸><(((º>¸.

          ><(((º>·´¯'·.¸. , . .·´¯'·.. ><(((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·, .

          .·´¯'·..¸><(((º>

          ________________________________

          FISHERY experts are continuing to investigate reports that potentially

          damaging Canadian lobster are being found off the southwest Coast of

          England. There are fears that these alien visitors threaten Britain's own

          lobster catching industry which is worth almost £40-million a year.

          http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/14788

          June 2002

          An American Lobster, Homarus americanus, was discovered captured by a

          fishing vessel on a boat out of Selsey, West Sussex. A few specimens have

          been caught before in the approaches to Southampton Water.

          Report by Robert Clark (Sussex Sea Fisheries Committee)

          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Lobster.htm

          I would be interested in hearing of further captures.

          Cheers

          Andy Horton.

          bmlss@...

          Alternative EMail: Glaucus@...

          ><< ( ( ( ' >

          British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)

          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/

          MARINE LIFE NEWS BULLETIN TORPEDO

          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm

          New Image Uploading Service:

          http://www.flickr.com/groups/glaucus/

          Marine Fish Group (NE Atlantic)

          http://www.flickr.com/groups/marinefish/

          Facebook: British Marine Life Study Society

          http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid112629298750125

          ><< ( ( ( ' >

        • Richard Lord
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
            American lobster, Homarus americanus

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_lobster

            European lobster, Homarus gammarus

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homarus_gammarus

            On 2 Feb 2011, at 21:12, Steve McWilliam wrote:

            > Andy
            >
            > Which actual species is teh American Lobster involved in this (Scientific/Latin name ??) ??
            >
            > Cheers.
            >
            > Steve
            > Steve J. McWilliam
            > Guitar Tab: http://www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/tab.htm
            > ShutterStock Photos: http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=9329
            > rECOrd - (Cheshire's LRC): http://www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

          • Steve McWilliam
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
              Thanks Richard - Andy mentions the American Lobster (which is H.americanus) but also mentiuons the following:  "FISHERY experts are continuing to investigate reports that potentially damaging Canadian lobster are being found off the southwest Coast of

              England. " and I was wondering which species is being referred to as the 'Canadian Lobster' ??

            • Richard Lord
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
                American lobster same species as Canadian lobster.

                From NMFS: "The American lobster fishery is one of the most valuable fisheries in the eastern United States, with landings of 96.9 million pounds valued at almost $300 million in 2009. Maine, with landings of 78 million pounds in 2009, accounted for the majority of total American lobster landings for the 28th year in a row."

                More American lobsters are caught in Canadian waters but I cannot find the figure for tonnes caught.

              • Steve McWilliam
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
                  Thanks again Richard - very much appreciated !

                  Steve
                  Steve J. McWilliam
                  Guitar Tab: http://www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/tab.htm
                  ShutterStock Photos: http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=9329
                  rECOrd - (Cheshire's LRC): http://www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

                  American lobster same species as Canadian lobster.

                  From NMFS: "The American lobster fishery is one of the most valuable fisheries in the eastern United States, with landings of 96.9 million pounds valued at almost $300 million in 2009. Maine, with landings of 78 million pounds in 2009, accounted for the majority of total American lobster landings for the 28th year in a row."

                  More American lobsters are caught in Canadian waters but I cannot find the figure for tonnes caught.

                  On 2 Feb 2011, at 21:30, Steve McWilliam wrote:

                  > Thanks Richard - Andy mentions the American Lobster (which is H.americanus) but also mentiuons the following:  "FISHERY experts are continuing to investigate reports that potentially damaging Canadian lobster are being found off the southwest Coast of
                  >
                  > England. " and I was wondering which species is being referred to as the 'Canadian Lobster' ??
                  >
                  > Cheers.
                  >
                  > Steve
                  > Steve J. McWilliam
                  > Guitar Tab: http://www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/tab.htm
                  > ShutterStock Photos: http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=9329
                  > rECOrd - (Cheshire's LRC): http://www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

                • O'Neill, David
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
                    All:

                    You may wish to read: http://www.nobanis.org/files/factsheets/homarus_americanus.pdf

                    I think that British papers sometimes refer to the American Lobster as the Canadian lobster because many Canadian lobsters are imported to Great Britain. I would hate to think that it is because any Briton would be prefer to attribute the animal to the less rebellious of their former North American colonies ;-)

                    H. americanus usually spends about a month in the plankton but at low temperature can be planktonic for over 100 days. I don’t know enough about the North Atlantic Circulation to know with certainty if it is impossible for the larvae to make it from Labrador or the Flemish Cap to European waters. Occasional reports of their presence in Icelandic and European waters have been made for years. The paper cited above also reports attempts at introducing them in Europe and suggests that individuals released by shellfish dealers as another route of introduction in addition to being released from cruise ships.

                    The fourth stage postlarva is a fair swimmer and is able to drop down to the bottom and return to the plankton. The behavior suggests that they are sampling the substrate. We also know that the fourth stage larvae are concentrated in langmuir cells and the thinking is that when wind and current conditions blow the late stage larvae over a cobble bottom that the recruitment is high. When they are in deep water or sandy bottom (where predation will be high) recruitment is presumably low.

                    We also know that the adults can travel hundreds of kilometers in annual inshore/offshore movement.

                    Dave O’Neill

                    David. J. O'Neill Ph.D.

                    Assistant Dean for Science

                    The Community College of Baltimore County

                    443-840-2663

                    doneill@...

                    As local divers in the Selsey / Solent area I'd be interested to know if it was
                    easy to spot the difference between the Amaerican Lobster and our own
                    British/European Lobster. Are they easy to tell apart? What do I need to look
                    for? Will certainly try to photograph/report any I may come across.

                    Regards

                    Ali Mayor
                    Southsea Sub-Aqua Club
                    ..><(((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸.·´¯'·...¸><(((º>¸.
                    ><(((º>·´¯'·.¸. , . .·´¯'·.. ><(((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·, .
                    .·´¯'·..¸><(((º>

                    ________________________________

                    bmlss@... <mailto:bmlss%40glaucus.org.uk>
                    Alternative EMail: Glaucus@... <mailto:Glaucus%40hotmail.com>
                    ><< ( ( ( ' >
                    British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
                    http://www.glaucus.org.uk/

                    MARINE LIFE NEWS BULLETIN TORPEDO
                    http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm
                    New Image Uploading Service:
                    http://www.flickr.com/groups/glaucus/
                    Marine Fish Group (NE Atlantic)
                    http://www.flickr.com/groups/marinefish/
                    Facebook: British Marine Life Study Society
                    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid112629298750125

                    NOTE: This message was trained as non-spam. If this is wrong, please correct the training as soon as possible.
                    Spam <https://killspam.ccbcmd.edu/canit/b.php?i=01E38mUGU&m=313fdd59cbef&t=20110202&c=s>
                    Not spam <https://killspam.ccbcmd.edu/canit/b.php?i=01E38mUGU&m=313fdd59cbef&t=20110202&c=n>
                    Forget previous vote <https://killspam.ccbcmd.edu/canit/b.php?i=01E38mUGU&m=313fdd59cbef&t=20110202&c=f>