Ocean acidification rate may be unprecedented according to international research published in 'Science'

  • Richard Lord
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2012
      "The world�s oceans may be turning acidic faster today from human carbon emissions than they did during four major extinctions in the last 300 million years, when natural pulses of carbon sent global temperatures soaring, says a new study, The Geological Record of Ocean Acidification, published in Science."

      http://www.sustainableguernsey.info/blog/2012/03/human-carbon-emissions-may-turn-ocean-acidic-at-faster-rate-than-during-four-major-extinctions/

      Best wishes,

      Richard

      Richard Lord

      Tel: +44 (0)1481 700688
      Email: sustainableguernsey@...
      Web: http://www.sustainableguernsey.info/blog/

      Guernsey GY1 1BQ

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2012
        Hello Richard and all

        I have been following the current thoughts on Ocean Acidification very
        closely - it is one of the scariest issues re the oceans.

        Through an education project 'One World One Ocean' I have been running for
        two and a half years now providing the opportunity to link to various
        scientists (conservationists, professors etc) around the world. Signs of
        ocean acidification on some plankton and shellfish and also affects on some
        fish development.

        The main project I work with schools is a project called One World One Ocean
        adventures of Ed the bear and links my various interests as a biologist,
        environmental educator and children wildlife author. I chose a bear as the
        character as it links well with schools that also use a class bear as a
        reaching tool.

        Ed the Bear spent a year with NOAA, been involved in a serious sand project
        to monitor micro plastics, stayed with scientists growing corals to help
        repair a damaged reef and more. What has made the project so successful is
        the scientists and other professionals who have been involved, the fact that
        everything that happened is real (both good and bad) and the schools relate
        well with the character who has developed and evolved along the way. It is
        very much a factual story seen through the eyes of a fictional character.

        The central part of the project is an online diary in the form of a weblog
        http://adventuresofedthebear.blogspot.com/

        Ocean acidification is just one of the issues covered but at the end of the
        day the project is a celebration of the oceans that also aims to encourage
        participants to live more sustainably and have less impact on the oceans and
        the planet.

        All the best

        Steve Savage
        Biologist, Environmental educator, Wildlife Author.