Re: Slipper Lobster (Scyllarus arctus) from Irish & UK (and French) waters

  • glaucus25
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2007
      Hello Declan,

      Thanks for the report of Scyllarus arctus.

      Have you got the date of capture for the News pages please?

      A Slipper Lobster, Scyllarus arctus, was caught in a lobster pot at a
      depth of about 60
      metres about 3 miles south east of St Mary's, Scilly Isles, just
      before Christmas by Barry Bennett. Realising that it was an unusual
      and interesting find Barry put it in a display tank, which he
      maintains in the Harbour Master's Office in St Mary's.
      Scyllarus arctus is a warm waters species found in the Mediterranean,
      and in the Eastern Atlantic from Morocco to the English Channel but is
      rare north of the Bay of Biscay. They live on stony ground, in caves,
      and can also be found on muddy bottoms or in seagrass beds. They use
      the large spade-like scales at the front of the head to burrow into
      mud,
      sand or gravel between and under stones. Only 15 have been confirmed
      from British seas all from off Cornwall, the Scilly Isles or off
      Plymouth.
      Full Report
      Full Report (CD-ROM only)

      Report from Doug Herdson (National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth)
      via the Marine Wildlife of the North-east Atlantic Ocean Group

      http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Scyllarus_arctus.txt

      An ovigerous (with eggs) female Slipper Lobster, Scyllarus arctus, was
      caught just off the Eddystone Lighthouse, south Cornwall, by Looe-
      based fishermen Richard Chapman. This strange crustacean is only a
      rare discovery in British seas, normally found in waters to the south.
      However, it is now suspected there could be a small breeding
      population off the coast of Cornwall. It measured 14 cm long and was
      identified by the experts at MarLIN (Marine Life Information Network).
      The exact date of capture was probably a few days before this
      newspaper report in the Western Morning News

      16/9/99
      A Slipper Lobster Scyllarus arctus was trawled by MFV Jacquline off
      the Wolf Rock Lighthouse. This is only the second record from off
      Cornwall this century
      http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Corn99.htm

      Cheers

      Andy Horton.
      glaucus@...
      ><< ( ( ( ' >
      Marine Wildlife News of the North-east Atlantic Ocean
      (British Marine Life Study Society)
      http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2007.htm
      http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2006.htm
      http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2005.htm

      http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2007Spring.htm

      --- In Glaucus@..., "quigleydeclan" <declanquigley@...>
      wrote:

      > We have just discovered what appears to be a mature female "berried"
      > specimen of Scyllarus arctus from SW Ireland. It was taken in a
      lobster
      > pot. We have it alive in a tank in Dingle Oceanworld.
      >
      > This would appear to be the first record of this species from Irish
      > waters and perhaps the most northerly European record to date ? I
      > understand that up to 15 specimens have been recorded from southern
      UK
      > waters (off Cornwall & Devon). I would be grateful for any
      information,
      > including published and unpublished references and records that you
      may
      > have regarding Northern European occurrences (UK & French).

    • Declan Quigley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 19, 2007
        Hello Andy,

        Many thanks for your message and references re Scyllarus arctus. Our specimen was caught last Friday 15th June (see new clipping attached herewith).

        Best Regards,