RE: Palinurus

  • Douglas Herdson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2007
      Hi Andy

      I have not seen this beast but Pink Spiny Lobster is the name for Palinurus mauretanicus ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/009/t0411e/T0411E20.pdf. They are recorded off the west of Ireland to 53°N, but only below 180 metres, normally below 200 metres. As there is not much water of that depth close to the UK, they are very infrequent in British landings. Catches in the Western Mediterranean can be of 200 to 300 crayfish at a time, presumably these are breeding groups.

      1. Palinurus
      Posted by: "Andy Horton" Glaucus@... glaucus25
      Date: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:03 pm

      Hello,

      The pink spiny lobster is closely related to the common crawfish but is usually found off the west coast of Africa and in the Mediterranean.
      Story from BBC NEWS: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/cornwall/7002326.stm
      Is this Palinurus mauretanicus ?
      I am not sure now rare or unusual this species is?

      Cheers
      Andy Horton.

      Douglas Herdson
      Information Officer
      National Marine Aquarium
      Rope Walk
      Coxside
      Plymouth PL4 0LF
      UK

      Telephone: (+44)01752 275216/01752 600301
      Fax: (+44)01752 275217
      Email: Douglas.Herdson@... <mailto:Douglas.Herdson@...>
      website www.national-aquarium.co.uk <http://www.national-aquarium.co.uk>
      To inspire everyone to enjoy, learn and care about our Oceans through amazing, memorable experiences.

    • quigleydeclan
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 21, 2007
        Hello Doug & Andy,

        The first specimen of the Deepwater Crawfish (Palinurus mauritanicus)
        captured in Irish waters was takewn around 1914 from 51 20'N, 11 20'W
        (400m).

        Since then occasional specimens (6) have been recorded from western
        waters, including both inshore (two berried females, one weighing
        2.2kg, from 25m depth during September/October 1971) and offshore
        waters (Porcupine Bank, 400m, 1986).

        However, during July 1986 and March 1987 a phenomenal number of
        specimens (1430) were landed by demersal trawlers fishing off the SW
        coast into Castletownbere and Dingle. Carapace lengths and body
        weights ranged from 5.4cm (105g) to 15.7cm (2.4kg). None of the
        females were berried or had spermatophore plugs. The specimens were
        taken from areas of undulating sand along with fragments of the coral
        Lophohelia pertusa.

        Although there have been no subsequent reports of P. mauritanicus
        from Irish waters, the two inshore records (from 1971)would suggest
        that the species is capable of attaining maturity in Irish waters,
        and it is possible that there may be an established, albeit sporadic,
        population off the SW coast of Ireland.

        Best Regards,

        Declan

        --- In Glaucus@..., "Douglas Herdson"