Guernsey triggerfish

  • Richard Lord
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2007
      A Guernsey angling competition called the Specimen Fish Hunt takes place
      annually in Guernsey. It occurs over three weekends in three different
      months. The angling competition begins at 1800 on Friday and finishes at
      2200 on Sunday for each weekend. The first weekend was this past weekend.
      Another Specimen Fish Hunt weekend will occur in October and the last one in
      November.

      Last year (2006) no triggerfish, Balistes capriscus, were landed during the
      whole competition. For the first weekend of this year's competition 95
      anglers took part. Their goal is to catch the greatest variety of fish and
      the biggest fish of each species. During the weekend they submitted 37
      triggerfish to the competition. This is the largest number of triggerfish
      ever submitted to the competition. On the north shore of Guernsey anglers
      are reporting a large shoal of them. As anglers reel in their bait
      triggerfish are following the bait to the shore.

      Anglers may have caught more than 37 triggerfish but they will only keep the
      largest to submit for weighing in the competition. Anglers who have already
      caught triggerfish will concentrate on fishing for other species to increase
      the variety of fish they enter in the competition.

      Yours sincerely,
      Richard
      Richard Lord
      Guernsey GY1 1BQ
      Great Britain

      Tel: 01481 700688
      Fax: 01481 700686
      Email: fishinfo@...
      http://www.sealordphotography.net
    • quigleydeclan
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2007
        After an apparent lull over the last few years, quite of few trigger
        fish have also been turning up in Irish waters this summer,
        particularly off the SW & W coasts.... has anybody seen any juveniles
        yet.... I am interested in the smallest specimen !

        Declan

        --- In Glaucus@..., "Richard Lord" <fishinfo@...> wrote:

        > A Guernsey angling competition called the Specimen Fish Hunt takes
        place
        > annually in Guernsey. It occurs over three weekends in three
        different
        > months. The angling competition begins at 1800 on Friday and
        finishes at
        > 2200 on Sunday for each weekend. The first weekend was this past
        weekend.
        > Another Specimen Fish Hunt weekend will occur in October and the
        last one in
        > November.
        >
        > Last year (2006) no triggerfish, Balistes capriscus, were landed
        during the
        > whole competition. For the first weekend of this year's
        competition 95
        > anglers took part. Their goal is to catch the greatest variety of
        fish and
        > the biggest fish of each species. During the weekend they
        submitted 37
        > triggerfish to the competition. This is the largest number of
        triggerfish
        > ever submitted to the competition. On the north shore of Guernsey
        anglers
        > are reporting a large shoal of them. As anglers reel in their bait
        > triggerfish are following the bait to the shore.
        >
        > Anglers may have caught more than 37 triggerfish but they will only
        keep the
        > largest to submit for weighing in the competition. Anglers who
        have already
        > caught triggerfish will concentrate on fishing for other species to
        increase
        > the variety of fish they enter in the competition.
        >
        > Yours sincerely,
        > Richard
        > Richard Lord
        > Guernsey GY1 1BQ
        > Great Britain
        >
        > Tel: 01481 700688
        > Fax: 01481 700686
        > Email: fishinfo@...
        > http://www.sealordphotography.net

      • jac volbeda
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2007
          Also triggerfish on the beach of Baleshare, Isle of
          North Uist.
          Three in total this week.
          I have never seen them before on Baleshare.

          Regards,

          Jac Volbeda

          www.jacvolbeda.co.uk

          Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit Yahoo! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html