Re: Tompot Blenny (North Sea coasts)

  • glaucus25
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2007
      Hello,

      There were no replies to this message.

      Are there records from the North Sea please, does anybody know?

      Cheers

      Andy Horton.
      glaucus@...
      ><< ( ( ( ' >
      British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
      http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
      Shorewatch Biological Recording
      http://www.glaucus.org.uk/watch2.htm

      --- In Glaucus@..., "glaucus25" <Glaucus@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > What is the current distribution of Parablennius gattorugine now
      > please?
      >
      > A Wheeler does have it recorded from the east coast and I cannot
      > remember if reports have been received north of the Thames.
      >
      > A recent report has been receievd from the Norfolk coast. I am not
      > surprised. I do not know if this is newsworthy nowadays?
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Andy Horton.
      > glaucus@...
      > ><< ( ( ( ' >
      > British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
      > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
      >
      > MARINE LIFE NEWS BULLETIN TORPEDO
      > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm
      >
      > New Image Uploading Service:
      > http://www.flickr.com/groups/glaucus/
      >
      > ><< ( ( ( ' >

    • jim_scuba
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
        No reliable records that I know of. Some people have suggested they
        have seen it up in the NE but when shown some pics, they realise what
        they have seen is Yarrell's Blenny (which is common)

        Jim Greenfield
        www.oceaneyephoto.com

        > Hello,
        >
        > There were no replies to this message.
        >
        > Are there records from the North Sea please, does anybody know?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Andy Horton.
        > glaucus@...
        > ><< ( ( ( ' >
        > British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
        > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
        > Shorewatch Biological Recording
        > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/watch2.htm
        >

        > --- In Glaucus@..., "glaucus25" <Glaucus@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > What is the current distribution of Parablennius gattorugine now
        > > please?
        > >
        > > A Wheeler does have it recorded from the east coast and I cannot
        > > remember if reports have been received north of the Thames.
        > >
        > > A recent report has been receievd from the Norfolk coast. I am
        not
        > > surprised. I do not know if this is newsworthy nowadays?
        > >
        > > Cheers
        > >
        > > Andy Horton.
        > > glaucus@
        > > ><< ( ( ( ' >
        > > British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
        > > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
        > >
        > > MARINE LIFE NEWS BULLETIN TORPEDO
        > > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm
        > >
        > > New Image Uploading Service:
        > > http://www.flickr.com/groups/glaucus/
        > >
        > > ><< ( ( ( ' >

      • Andy Horton
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
          Hello,

          A few exiguous notes about the Tompot Blenny on:

          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/tompot.htm
          The North Sea report is not confirmed.

          Cheers

          Andy Horton.
          glaucus@...
          ><< ( ( ( ' >
          Marine Wildlife News of the North-east Atlantic Ocean
          (British Marine Life Study Society)
          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2007.htm
          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2006.htm
          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2005.htm
          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2007Summer.htm
          Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 5:13 PM
          Subject: [Glaucus] Re: Tompot Blenny (North Sea coasts)

          No reliable records that I know of. Some people have suggested they
          have seen it up in the NE but when shown some pics, they realise what
          they have seen is Yarrell's Blenny (which is common)

          Jim Greenfield
          www.oceaneyephoto.com

          > Hello,
          >
          > There were no replies to this message.
          >
          > Are there records from the North Sea please, does anybody know?
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Andy Horton.
          > glaucus@...
          > ><< ( ( ( ' >
          > British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
          > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
          > Shorewatch Biological Recording
          > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/watch2.htm
          >

          > --- In Glaucus@..., "glaucus25" <Glaucus@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > What is the current distribution of Parablennius gattorugine now
          > > please?
          > >
          > > A Wheeler does have it recorded from the east coast and I cannot
          > > remember if reports have been received north of the Thames.
          > >
          > > A recent report has been receievd from the Norfolk coast. I am
          not
          > > surprised. I do not know if this is newsworthy nowadays?
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Andy Horton.
          > > glaucus@
          > > ><< ( ( ( ' >
          > > British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
          > > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
          > >
          > > MARINE LIFE NEWS BULLETIN TORPEDO
          > > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm
          > >
          > > New Image Uploading Service:
          > > http://www.flickr.com/groups/glaucus/
          > >
          > > ><< ( ( ( ' >

        • JONATHAN BRAMLEY
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
            I ran a Seasearch course in Ipswich last weekend and two divers were certain that they had seen a Tompot Blenny (they have a photo) on a wreck off Norfolk. I will see if I can get a copy of the photo.

            Jon

            Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 5:13 PM

            No reliable records that I know of. Some people have suggested they
            have seen it up in the NE but when shown some pics, they realise what
            they have seen is Yarrell's Blenny (which is common)

            Jim Greenfield
            www.oceaneyephoto.com

            > Hello,
            >
            > There were no replies to this message.
            >
            > Are there records from the North Sea please, does anybody know?
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Andy Horton.
            > glaucus@...
            > ><< ( ( ( ' >
            > British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
            > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
            > Shorewatch Biological Recording
            > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/watch2.htm
            >

            > --- In Glaucus@..., "glaucus25" <Glaucus@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > What is the current distribution of Parablennius gattorugine now
            > > please?
            > >
            > > A Wheeler does have it recorded from the east coast and I cannot
            > > remember if reports have been received north of the Thames.
            > >
            > > A recent report has been receievd from the Norfolk coast. I am
            not
            > > surprised. I do not know if this is newsworthy nowadays?
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > Andy Horton.
            > > glaucus@
            > > ><< ( ( ( ' >
            > > British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
            > > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
            > >
            > > MARINE LIFE NEWS BULLETIN TORPEDO
            > > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm
            > >
            > > New Image Uploading Service:
            > > http://www.flickr.com/groups/glaucus/
            > >
            > > ><< ( ( ( ' >

          • diveyellowmouse
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
              --- In Glaucus@..., "glaucus25" <Glaucus@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > What is the current distribution of Parablennius gattorugine now
              > please?
              >
              > A Wheeler does have it recorded from the east coast and I cannot
              > remember if reports have been received north of the Thames.
              >
              > A recent report has been receievd from the Norfolk coast. I am not
              > surprised. I do not know if this is newsworthy nowadays?
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Andy Horton.
              > glaucus@...
              > ><< ( ( ( ' >
              > British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
              > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
              >
              > MARINE LIFE NEWS BULLETIN TORPEDO
              > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm
              >
              > New Image Uploading Service:
              > http://www.flickr.com/groups/glaucus/
              >
              > ><< ( ( ( ' >

              Hi, The divers J Bramley refers to are me and Rob, so we're actually
              the same people asking the original question, though there were at
              least 8 people that saw it at the time...
            • Andy Horton
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
                Hello,

                I should have said A.Wheeler dies NOT have it recorded from the east coast.

                Who saw it first?

                Who recognised it first?

                Credit where it is due!

                Pictures at:

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 15, 2007
                  Rob Spray saw and photographed it first. It was recorded on a
                  Seasearch surveyor form. We were on a dive with 8 or so Observer
                  trainees and most of them saw it too. It was on the wreck of the
                  Rosalie just off Weybourne in North Norfolk. It looked pretty big and old.