Re: [Glaucus] Re: Ray's Bream - Alert

  • Andrew Syvret - seajersey.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
      Morning,

      very interesting ~ 5 tonnes is a lot of Ray's bream

      s'one brought me a discarded Brama brama on 26th August (TL 458mm FL 380mm) ~ found on the beach at St Brelade's Bay (S Coast of Jersey, CI) earlier that day ~ it was recognised straight away as something unusual by a spearfisherman who went to see what gulls were pecking over as he walked up the beach, also dumped were a number of winged ray frames, so I think it's fair to say the fish was probably net caught from a small boat not too far away

      wasn't in condition good enough to warrant a photograph, but was fresh & without doubt a Ray's bream ~ the first one I am aware of in Jersey & possibly the Channel Islands?

      what next in 2007?

      cheers

      Andrew

      PS Doug, from what I saw of the one here, your Aplysia looks like a slightly smaller fasciata to me, but I could well be wrong having only seen the one! Will send pic & details of our record under separate cover.

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
        Hello Andy,

        I havn't heard of any further specimens of Frilled Shark from Irish
        waters since the last 3 specimens were taken off NW Ireland during
        August/September 2000.

        Best Regards,

        Declan

        --- In Glaucus@..., "Andy Horton" <Glaucus@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Any Frilled Sharks landed by the long-liners out of Killybegs this
        year
        > please?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Andy Horton.
        > glaucus@...
        > ><< ( ( ( ' >
        > British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
        > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
        >
        > MARINE LIFE NEWS BULLETIN TORPEDO
        > http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm
        > New Image Uploading Service:
        > http://www.flickr.com/groups/glaucus/
        > ><< ( ( ( ' >

      • sh_d
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 12, 2007
          Hi folks, just got back from a field season to find loads of Ray's
          Bream reports here - Is anyone prepared to send me one found dead? or
          even buy one if it turns up in the local market? I will of course
          reimburse any costs and postage. Why? its for the skeleton reference
          collection (see http://www.shd-archzoo.co.uk if you are curious). I
          can collect within a reasonable distance of Southampton but
          Aberdeen/Ireland/Jersey is pushing it a bit on cost grounds! ;)
          Sheila

          --- In Glaucus@..., "Andrew Syvret - seajersey.com"

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 18, 2007
            Another copule of tonnes of Ray's Bream were landed with scad in
            Killybegs today. I have asked one of my colleagues to retain one for
            Sheila. Please forward me details and I will try and arrange delivery.

            Declan

          • shdbone@lineone.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 18, 2007
              Hi Declan and all, just replied to Declan and discovered the one to this address bounced! oops forgot it only likes certain emails, anyway in case it didnt arrive please contact me direct from the other email or off my website ..... and thanks!
              Sheila
              SH-D ArchaeoZoology
              http://www.shd-archzoo.co.uk
              All messages virus checked by ZoneAlarm