White Shark kills Grey Seal in North Sea?

  • Douglas Herdson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
      Here we go again,

      If this photo is genuine, it certainly looks like a large
      predator/shark bite to me; but I would appreciate the views of those
      with far more experience than me.

      It is the Sun again but that does not mean we should dismiss it out of
      hand. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article643371.ece.

      Your views welcome, Doug

      Douglas Herdson
      Information Officer
      National Marine Aquarium
      Rope Walk
      Coxside
      Plymouth PL4 0LF
      UK

      Telephone: (+44)01752 275216/01752 600301
      Fax: (+44)01752 275217
      Email: Douglas.Herdson@...
      <mailto:Douglas.Herdson@...>
      website www.national-aquarium.co.uk <http://www.national-aquarium.co.uk>

      To inspire everyone to enjoy, learn and care about our Oceans through
      amazing, memorable experiences.

    • Emma Rance
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
        Hi Doug,

        The link didn't work I'm afraid!

        Em
        >< ( ( ((º >`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><( ( ((º>¸. ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><( ( ((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><( ( ((º>

        LESS THAN 0.001% OF OUR SEA IS FULLY PROTECTED!Overfishing, trawling, dredging, pollution and offshore development are devastating the UK's marine habitats and wildlife!PLEASE HELP by signing our petition! http://www.joandjoe.com/cardsite/conservation/the_wildlife_trusts.php

        Think before you print, save energy and paper.

        To: The_Shark_Group@...; SHARK-L@...; enquiries@...; Glaucus@...: douglas.herdson@...: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:41:39 +0000Subject: [Glaucus] White Shark kills Grey Seal in North Sea?

        Here we go again,If this photo is genuine, it certainly looks like a largepredator/shark bite to me; but I would appreciate the views of thosewith far more experience than me. It is the Sun again but that does not mean we should dismiss it out ofhand. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article643371.ece.Your views welcome, DougDouglas HerdsonInformation OfficerNational Marine AquariumRope WalkCoxsidePlymouth PL4 0LFUKTelephone: (+44)01752 275216/01752 600301Fax: (+44)01752 275217Email: Douglas.Herdson@...<mailto:Douglas.Herdson@...> website www.national-aquarium.co.uk <http://www.national-aquarium.co.uk>To inspire everyone to enjoy, learn and care about our Oceans throughamazing, memorable experiences.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • leonrosk
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
          --- In Glaucus@..., Emma Rance <e_rance@...> wrote:

          > Hi Doug,
          >
          > The link didn't work I'm afraid!

          Try: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article643371.ece
        • Andy Horton
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
            Hello,

            It is a pity that there are no measurements. From the picture I estimate the
            "bite" to be 30 inches wide = 0.76 metre. I am going to look up shark bite
            measurements. All my instinct says that the bite that size is too large for
            anything other than a large Large White. If was a fake they would surely
            have included some shark's teeth for additional proof (this occurs with the
            Big Cat reconstructions).

            Porbeagles occur in the North Sea and we have unconfirmed reports of large
            Mako's on record. But I think the bite is too big!

            Type in the link without the full stop at the end.

            http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article643371.ece

            Cheers
            Andy Horton.
            glaucus@...
            ><< ( ( ( ' >
            British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
            http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
            Marine Wildlife News of the North-east Atlantic Ocean News
            (British Marine Life Study Society)
            http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2008.htm

            MARINE LIFE NEWS BULLETIN TORPEDO
            http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm
            New Image Uploading Service:
            http://www.flickr.com/groups/glaucus/
            ><< ( ( ( ' >

            > If this photo is genuine, it certainly looks like a large
            > predator/shark bite to me; but I would appreciate the views of those
            > with far more experience than me.
            >
            > It is the Sun again but that does not mean we should dismiss it out of
            > hand. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article643371.ece.
            >
            > Your views welcome, Doug
            >
            > Douglas Herdson
            > Information Officer
            > National Marine Aquarium
            > Rope Walk
            > Coxside
            > Plymouth PL4 0LF
            > UK
            >
            > Telephone: (+44)01752 275216/01752 600301
            > Fax: (+44)01752 275217
            > Email: Douglas.Herdson@...
            > <mailto:Douglas.Herdson@...>
            > website www.national-aquarium.co.uk <http://www.national-aquarium.co.uk>
            >
            > To inspire everyone to enjoy, learn and care about our Oceans through
            > amazing, memorable experiences.

          • glaucus25
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
              Hello,

              Addenda:

              Must be be feeling a bit slow this morning.

              Could be

              Sleeper shark (Somniosus microcephalus) or Killer Whales (Orca).

              Andy Horton

              --- In Glaucus@..., "Andy Horton" <Glaucus@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > It is a pity that there are no measurements. From the picture I
              estimate the
              > "bite" to be 30 inches wide = 0.76 metre. I am going to look up
              shark bite
              > measurements.

              > > Here we go again,
              > >
              > > If this photo is genuine, it certainly looks like a
              large
              > > predator/shark bite to me; but I would appreciate the views of
              those
              > > with far more experience than me.
              > >
              > > It is the Sun again but that does not mean we should dismiss it
              out of
              > > hand.
              http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article643371.ece.

              > > Your views welcome, Doug
              > >
              > > Douglas Herdson
              > > Information Officer
              > > National Marine Aquarium
              > > Rope Walk
              > > Coxside
              > > Plymouth PL4 0LF
              > > UK
              > >
              > > Telephone: (+44)01752 275216/01752 600301
              > > Fax: (+44)01752 275217
              > > Email: Douglas.Herdson@...
              > > <mailto:Douglas.Herdson@...>
              > > website www.national-aquarium.co.uk <http://www.national-
              aquarium.co.uk>

              > > To inspire everyone to enjoy, learn and care about our Oceans
              through
              > > amazing, memorable experiences.

            • Richard Lord
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                It is a pity the photo didn't include some background scenery to
                authenticate the location of the image. The location and the size of the
                bite wound matches wounds I have seen on other photos of pinnipeds attacked
                by great whites. See
                http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/vertebrates/Doug/shark.html

                What is the temperature in the southern North Sea now?

                This link should be forwarded to the elasmo-list for some expert opinion.

                Best wishes,

                Richard

                Richard Lord

                Guernsey GY1 1BQ

                Great Britain

                Tel: 01481 700688

                Fax: 01481 700686

                Email: fishinfo@...

                http://www.sealordphotography.net <http://www.sealordphotography.net/>

                http://www.thesun

                glaucus@hotmail. <mailto:glaucus%40hotmail.com> com
                ><< ( ( ( ' >
                British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
                http://www.glaucus <http://www.glaucus.org.uk/> org.uk/
                yahoo.com/group/Glaucus
                http://www.glaucus <http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2008.htm>

                http://www.glaucus <http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm>
                org.uk/Torpedo2.htm
                New Image Uploading Service:
                http://www.flickr <http://www.flickr.com/groups/glaucus/>
                com/groups/glaucus/
                ><< ( ( ( ' >

                <mailto:douglas.herdson%40national-aquarium.co.uk> national-aquarium.co.uk>
                To: <The_Shark_Group@ <mailto:The_Shark_Group%40googlegroups.com>
                googlegroups.com>; "SHARK-L" <SHARK-L@RAVEN.

                <http://www.national-aquarium.co.uk> -aquarium.co.uk>

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                  --- In Glaucus@..., "Richard Lord" <fishinfo@...> wrote:

                  > What is the temperature in the southern North Sea now?

                  See at: http://www.cefas.co.uk/data/marine-monitoring.aspx

                  (Click on the links in the right hand panel to get a relevant map of
                  buoy positions, then click on the buoy to read the information)
                • Andy Horton
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Hello,

                    WTMP = sea surface temperature (North Sea)
                    http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/radial_search.php?lat1=53.10N&lon1=2.80E&uom=E&dist=250
                    http://tinyurl.com/26dffa
                    Temperature up to 51.3° F = 10.72° C
                    This is about 2° C then I would have expected.

                    Great white sharks live in almost all coastal and offshore waters which have
                    a water temperature of between 12 and 24° C (54° to 75° F), with greater
                    concentrations off the southern coasts of Australia, off South Africa,
                    California, Mexico's Isla Guadalupe and to a degree in the Central
                    Mediterranean and Adriatic Seas. One of the densest known populations is
                    found around Dyer Island, South Africa where much research on the shark is
                    conducted. It can be also found in tropical waters like those of the
                    Caribbean, and has been recorded off Mauritius.[4]
                    It is a pelagic fish, but recorded or observed mostly in coastal waters in
                    the presence of rich game like fur seals, sea lions, cetaceans, other sharks
                    and large bony fish species. It is considered an open-ocean dweller and is
                    recorded from the surface down to depths of 1,280 m (4,199 ft), but is most
                    often found close to the surface.
                    from
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_white_shark

                    Cheers

                    Andy Horton.
                    glaucus@...

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Hello,

                      Wider temperature amplitude with more research
                      "As the sharks moved offshore to the southwest, they increased their diving
                      activity and experienced a broader range of ambient temperatures," wrote the
                      authors -- from 79 F (26 C) at the surface to 41 F (4.8 C) at their maximum
                      diving depth some 2,000 feet (667 meters) below sea level.
                      http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2002/january9/sharks-19.html

                      Addenda:
                      A single bite would be usual for a feeding shark ??? It takes one bite and
                      then waits for the prey to die?

                      The last confirmed sighting of a great white in Atlantic European waters was
                      in 1997 when a female was found in the Bay of Biscay, 250 miles from
                      Cornwall. Tagging experiments show great whites can travel 7,000 miles in
                      three months.
                      http://www.guardian.co.uk/australia/story/0,12070,1376918,00.html#article_continue

                      Comment: I do not believe it was a Great White Shark for one minute.

                      Cheers

                      Andy Horton.
                      glaucus@...
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 7, 2008
                        Hello Richard,

                        The sea temperature off Norfolk is currently 10.72° C. This will be
                        at the bottom end of the range of temperatures that the Great White
                        is found.
                        My inclination is to observe the patterns of fish migrations which
                        the shark would follow. If I remember rightly it is the Salmon that
                        migrate to the North Sea in winter. If a big shark is involved I
                        would go for the Sleeper or Greenland Shark, Somniosus microcephalus,
                        which is not really sleepy at all.
                        http://www.marinebiodiversity.ca/shark/english/greenland.htm

                        Now if was in summer and the Tunny still visited the North Sea I
                        might be more favourable to a Mako or Great White.
                        It will need the teeth broken off for me to believe a shark attack!

                        Cheers

                        Andy Horton.
                        glaucus@...