Red Wharf Bay beachcomb

  • Daniel Ward
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27, 2008
      After a recent bout of northerlies here in North Wales I took the dog
      for a walk down on Red Wharf Bay (now two days ago, 26/3) and found
      all sorts of things washed up. Much of the material was deposited
      across the entire intertidal to the east of the Bay, but more
      concentrated on the strandline towards the West. Typically, the one
      time there was a lot to look at, I didn't bother to take my camera. I
      did bring a few specimens back to photograph, but I was in a bit of a
      rush so I had to stick them in the freezer, and, as I'm away for a
      week or so, I won't be able to snap them for a while...

      Brittle stars (various species) were paricularly abundant on the upper
      shore, with patches a couple of inches (or more) thick. Asterias
      rubens were also very abundant, as a rough guess > 5-10 per metre
      square (there was a lot of them!).

      Species such as Astropecten irregularis, Echinocardium cordatum,
      Alcyonium digitatum, masked crabs (Corystes spp.) and various
      sipunculids were also washed up in considerable numbers, as were
      various elamsobranch eggcases, a couple of which I brought back to ID.

      Of the more unusual species, I found three angular crabs (Goneplax
      rhomboides), a small conger eel (approx 50cm long) and a dead chough
      (Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax).

      Hopefully some of this is of interest...

      Thanks,
      Dan
    • shdbone@lineone.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 27, 2008
        Don't suppose you picked up the chough?......
        Sheila

        SH-D ArchaeoZoology
        http://www.shd-archzoo.co.uk
        All messages virus checked by ZoneAlarm

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 27, 2008
          Sheila,

          I didn't I'm afraid...

        • shdbone@lineone.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 27, 2008
            Ah well, but if you ever find another .....!

            SH-D ArchaeoZoology
            http://www.shd-archzoo.co.uk
            All messages virus checked by ZoneAlarm
            > Don't suppose you picked up the chough?......
            > Sheila
            >
            > SH-D ArchaeoZoology
            > http://www.shd-archzoo.co.uk
            > All messages virus checked by ZoneAlarm

          • Davy Holt
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
              Hiya,

              These were found at the high tide line on a South Coast beach

              any ideas ??
              http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o256/sideslip_photos/chivenor270308019.jpg
              http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o256/sideslip_photos/chivenor270308021.jpg
              http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o256/sideslip_photos/chivenor270308024.jpg
              http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o256/sideslip_photos/chivenor270308023.jpg

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
                As a thought...

                Necklace shell (sp?) eggs?

                http://tinyurl.com/ywby99

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
                  Hiya,

                  certainly looks like a contender cheers Andrew