Deep Water Crab

  • Alan jackson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2008
      Hi,
      Can anyone help with the identification of this large crab from the
      deep water to the West of Orkney. (photos in Album "Orkney Crab") Local
      fishermen call them "Red Crab" but they are not common. This one is a
      female and has survived a number of days in a boats vivier tank after
      being caught in about 300m. Now in one of our tanks and we will see if
      it survives. I dont have the exact position that it was
      caught but can get it if relevant.
      Regards

      Alan
    • Richard Lord
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2008
        The European species is Chaceon affinis. I have seen this species at
        a Spanish fish market in Galicia.

        They also catch a similar species in the western Atlantic - a golden
        crab off Florida and the red crab off Maine/ Canada - Chaceon (Geryon)
        quinquedens.

        for info on the life history of the north-western Atlantic red crab:

        http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/nefsc/publications/tm/tm163/tm163.pdf/

        Best wishes,
        Richard

        Richard Lord
        fishinfo@...
        http://www.sealordphotography.net

        On 11 May 2008, at 17:13, Alan jackson wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Can anyone help with the identification of this large crab from the
        > deep water to the West of Orkney. (photos in Album "Orkney Crab")
        > Local
        > fishermen call them "Red Crab" but they are not common. This one is a
        > female and has survived a number of days in a boats vivier tank after
        > being caught in about 300m. Now in one of our tanks and we will see if
        > it survives. I dont have the exact position that it was
        > caught but can get it if relevant.
        > Regards
        >
        > Alan

      • Alan Jackson
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2008
          Many thanks for that information Richard.
          Kind regards,

          Alan Jackson

          --- In Glaucus@..., Richard Lord <fishinfo@...> wrote:

          > The European species is Chaceon affinis. I have seen this species
          at
          > a Spanish fish market in Galicia.
          >
          > They also catch a similar species in the western Atlantic - a
          golden
          > crab off Florida and the red crab off Maine/ Canada - Chaceon
          (Geryon)
          > quinquedens.
          >
          > for info on the life history of the north-western Atlantic red crab:
          >
          > http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/nefsc/publications/tm/tm163/tm163.pdf/
          >
          > Best wishes,
          > Richard
          >
          > Richard Lord
          > fishinfo@...
          > http://www.sealordphotography.net
          >
          > On 11 May 2008, at 17:13, Alan jackson wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > > Can anyone help with the identification of this large crab from
          the
          > > deep water to the West of Orkney. (photos in Album "Orkney
          Crab")
          > > Local
          > > fishermen call them "Red Crab" but they are not common. This one
          is a
          > > female and has survived a number of days in a boats vivier tank
          after
          > > being caught in about 300m. Now in one of our tanks and we will
          see if
          > > it survives. I dont have the exact position that it was
          > > caught but can get it if relevant.
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > Alan

        • Declan Quigley
          Message 4 of 6 , May 12, 2008
            Hello Alan,

            II agree with Richard, it is the geryonid crab Chaceon (Geryon) affinis (Deep-water Red Crab) which has been widely reported from both the North & South Atlantic as well as the Indian Ocean in depths ranging from 410 to 2047m. In the NE Atlantic, it has been recorded from N & SW Iceland, W Norway, SW Rockall, Ymir Ridge, Wyville-Thompson Ridge, W of St Kilda & WNW Butt of Lewis (Scotland), and NW Skellig Islands (Ireland) @ 160-193m. Significant quantities have been taken by deep-water crab potters off the W coast of Ireland.

            Regards,

            Declan

            Quigley, D.T.G., Flannery, K. & Holmes, J.M.C. (1994) First record of the crab Chaceon (Geryon) affinis from Irish waters.
            The Irish Naturalists' Journal 24(11): 460-461.

            Many thanks for that information Richard.
            Kind regards,

            Alan Jackson

            --- In Glaucus@..., Richard Lord <fishinfo@...> wrote:

            > The European species is Chaceon affinis. I have seen this species
            at
            > a Spanish fish market in Galicia.
            >
            > They also catch a similar species in the western Atlantic - a
            golden
            > crab off Florida and the red crab off Maine/ Canada - Chaceon
            (Geryon)
            > quinquedens.
            >
            > for info on the life history of the north-western Atlantic red crab:
            >
            > http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/nefsc/publications/tm/tm163/tm163.pdf/
            >
            > Best wishes,
            > Richard
            >
            > Richard Lord
            > fishinfo@...
            > http://www.sealordphotography.net
            >
            > On 11 May 2008, at 17:13, Alan jackson wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > > Can anyone help with the identification of this large crab from
            the
            > > deep water to the West of Orkney. (photos in Album "Orkney
            Crab")
            > > Local
            > > fishermen call them "Red Crab" but they are not common. This one
            is a
            > > female and has survived a number of days in a boats vivier tank
            after
            > > being caught in about 300m. Now in one of our tanks and we will
            see if
            > > it survives. I dont have the exact position that it was
            > > caught but can get it if relevant.
            > > Regards
            > >
            > > Alan

          • Alan Jackson
            Message 5 of 6 , May 15, 2008
              Thanks Declan,

              Does anyone have any information about this crab being kept in
              captivity before? Survival time, temperature. lighting, feeding,
              other requirements, compatable species etc? Does bright daylight
              affect eyesight of all deepwater crustacea as I understand is the
              case with nethrops?

              Regards

              Alan

              --- In Glaucus@..., "Declan Quigley"
              <declanquigley@...> wrote:

              > Hello Alan,
              >
              > II agree with Richard, it is the geryonid crab Chaceon (Geryon)
              affinis (Deep-water Red Crab) which has been widely reported from
              both the North & South Atlantic as well as the Indian Ocean in depths
              ranging from 410 to 2047m. In the NE Atlantic, it has been recorded
              from N & SW Iceland, W Norway, SW Rockall, Ymir Ridge, Wyville-
              Thompson Ridge, W of St Kilda & WNW Butt of Lewis (Scotland), and NW
              Skellig Islands (Ireland) @ 160-193m. Significant quantities have
              been taken by deep-water crab potters off the W coast of Ireland.

              > Regards,
              >
              > Declan
              >
              > Quigley, D.T.G., Flannery, K. & Holmes, J.M.C. (1994) First record
              of the crab Chaceon (Geryon) affinis from Irish waters.
              > The Irish Naturalists' Journal 24(11): 460-461.

            • Andy Horton
              Message 6 of 6 , May 15, 2008
                Hello Alan,

                The answer is no from previous experience.

                Late at night, but I would suggest:

                1) Temperature control (cooling). I have not looked up the sea temperature
                amplitude range for this particular species, but I would expect it is on the
                low side.

                2) All crabs can pose problems in captivity, and their does not appear to
                be any useful information for non-commercial species. Frequent water changes
                have always proved to be the most successful regime for the most difficult
                of all critters to keep for about five months (expected), over a year
                (moderate success).

                Feeding: in the realms of the unknown, which is what this forum is all
                about.

                Lighting in internal aquaria is much lower than in the wild. Lux readings: I
                have checked this out. I would not expect this to be the most important
                husbandry consideration.

                Cheers

                Andy Horton.
                glaucus@...
                British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
                http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
                Marine Wildlife News of the North-east Atlantic Ocean News
                (British Marine Life Study Society)
                http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2008.htm

                MARINE LIFE NEWS BULLETIN TORPEDO
                http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm