Re: [Glaucus] Deep Water Crab

  • Richard Lord
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2008
      The European species is Chaceon affinis. I have seen this species at
      a Spanish fish market in Galicia.

      They also catch a similar species in the western Atlantic - a golden
      crab off Florida and the red crab off Maine/ Canada - Chaceon (Geryon)
      quinquedens.

      for info on the life history of the north-western Atlantic red crab:

      http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/nefsc/publications/tm/tm163/tm163.pdf/

      Best wishes,
      Richard

      Richard Lord
      fishinfo@...
      http://www.sealordphotography.net

      On 11 May 2008, at 17:13, Alan jackson wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Can anyone help with the identification of this large crab from the
      > deep water to the West of Orkney. (photos in Album "Orkney Crab")
      > Local
      > fishermen call them "Red Crab" but they are not common. This one is a
      > female and has survived a number of days in a boats vivier tank after
      > being caught in about 300m. Now in one of our tanks and we will see if
      > it survives. I dont have the exact position that it was
      > caught but can get it if relevant.
      > Regards
      >
      > Alan

    • Alan Jackson
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12, 2008
        Many thanks for that information Richard.
        Kind regards,

        Alan Jackson

        --- In Glaucus@..., Richard Lord <fishinfo@...> wrote:

        > The European species is Chaceon affinis. I have seen this species
        at
        > a Spanish fish market in Galicia.
        >
        > They also catch a similar species in the western Atlantic - a
        golden
        > crab off Florida and the red crab off Maine/ Canada - Chaceon
        (Geryon)
        > quinquedens.
        >
        > for info on the life history of the north-western Atlantic red crab:
        >
        > http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/nefsc/publications/tm/tm163/tm163.pdf/
        >
        > Best wishes,
        > Richard
        >
        > Richard Lord
        > fishinfo@...
        > http://www.sealordphotography.net
        >
        > On 11 May 2008, at 17:13, Alan jackson wrote:
        >
        > > Hi,
        > > Can anyone help with the identification of this large crab from
        the
        > > deep water to the West of Orkney. (photos in Album "Orkney
        Crab")
        > > Local
        > > fishermen call them "Red Crab" but they are not common. This one
        is a
        > > female and has survived a number of days in a boats vivier tank
        after
        > > being caught in about 300m. Now in one of our tanks and we will
        see if
        > > it survives. I dont have the exact position that it was
        > > caught but can get it if relevant.
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > Alan

      • Declan Quigley
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2008
          Hello Alan,

          II agree with Richard, it is the geryonid crab Chaceon (Geryon) affinis (Deep-water Red Crab) which has been widely reported from both the North & South Atlantic as well as the Indian Ocean in depths ranging from 410 to 2047m. In the NE Atlantic, it has been recorded from N & SW Iceland, W Norway, SW Rockall, Ymir Ridge, Wyville-Thompson Ridge, W of St Kilda & WNW Butt of Lewis (Scotland), and NW Skellig Islands (Ireland) @ 160-193m. Significant quantities have been taken by deep-water crab potters off the W coast of Ireland.

          Regards,

          Declan

          Quigley, D.T.G., Flannery, K. & Holmes, J.M.C. (1994) First record of the crab Chaceon (Geryon) affinis from Irish waters.
          The Irish Naturalists' Journal 24(11): 460-461.

          Many thanks for that information Richard.
          Kind regards,

          Alan Jackson

          --- In Glaucus@..., Richard Lord <fishinfo@...> wrote:

          > The European species is Chaceon affinis. I have seen this species
          at
          > a Spanish fish market in Galicia.
          >
          > They also catch a similar species in the western Atlantic - a
          golden
          > crab off Florida and the red crab off Maine/ Canada - Chaceon
          (Geryon)
          > quinquedens.
          >
          > for info on the life history of the north-western Atlantic red crab:
          >
          > http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/nefsc/publications/tm/tm163/tm163.pdf/
          >
          > Best wishes,
          > Richard
          >
          > Richard Lord
          > fishinfo@...
          > http://www.sealordphotography.net
          >
          > On 11 May 2008, at 17:13, Alan jackson wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > > Can anyone help with the identification of this large crab from
          the
          > > deep water to the West of Orkney. (photos in Album "Orkney
          Crab")
          > > Local
          > > fishermen call them "Red Crab" but they are not common. This one
          is a
          > > female and has survived a number of days in a boats vivier tank
          after
          > > being caught in about 300m. Now in one of our tanks and we will
          see if
          > > it survives. I dont have the exact position that it was
          > > caught but can get it if relevant.
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > Alan

        • Alan Jackson
          Message 4 of 6 , May 15, 2008
            Thanks Declan,

            Does anyone have any information about this crab being kept in
            captivity before? Survival time, temperature. lighting, feeding,
            other requirements, compatable species etc? Does bright daylight
            affect eyesight of all deepwater crustacea as I understand is the
            case with nethrops?

            Regards

            Alan

            --- In Glaucus@..., "Declan Quigley"
            <declanquigley@...> wrote:

            > Hello Alan,
            >
            > II agree with Richard, it is the geryonid crab Chaceon (Geryon)
            affinis (Deep-water Red Crab) which has been widely reported from
            both the North & South Atlantic as well as the Indian Ocean in depths
            ranging from 410 to 2047m. In the NE Atlantic, it has been recorded
            from N & SW Iceland, W Norway, SW Rockall, Ymir Ridge, Wyville-
            Thompson Ridge, W of St Kilda & WNW Butt of Lewis (Scotland), and NW
            Skellig Islands (Ireland) @ 160-193m. Significant quantities have
            been taken by deep-water crab potters off the W coast of Ireland.

            > Regards,
            >
            > Declan
            >
            > Quigley, D.T.G., Flannery, K. & Holmes, J.M.C. (1994) First record
            of the crab Chaceon (Geryon) affinis from Irish waters.
            > The Irish Naturalists' Journal 24(11): 460-461.

          • Andy Horton
            Message 5 of 6 , May 15, 2008
              Hello Alan,

              The answer is no from previous experience.

              Late at night, but I would suggest:

              1) Temperature control (cooling). I have not looked up the sea temperature
              amplitude range for this particular species, but I would expect it is on the
              low side.

              2) All crabs can pose problems in captivity, and their does not appear to
              be any useful information for non-commercial species. Frequent water changes
              have always proved to be the most successful regime for the most difficult
              of all critters to keep for about five months (expected), over a year
              (moderate success).

              Feeding: in the realms of the unknown, which is what this forum is all
              about.

              Lighting in internal aquaria is much lower than in the wild. Lux readings: I
              have checked this out. I would not expect this to be the most important
              husbandry consideration.

              Cheers

              Andy Horton.
              glaucus@...
              British Marine Life Study Society (formed 6 June 1990)
              http://www.glaucus.org.uk/
              Marine Wildlife News of the North-east Atlantic Ocean News
              (British Marine Life Study Society)
              http://www.glaucus.org.uk/News2008.htm

              MARINE LIFE NEWS BULLETIN TORPEDO
              http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Torpedo2.htm