Sussex common seal sighting

  • seawatch17
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2008
      Hi all

      I received a seal sighting on Monday from John Bradshaw Chairman of
      the Shoreham Beach LNR Management Group. An adult common seal was
      hauled out on the bank of the River Adur bank near the airport, at
      3.00pm. John went home to get his camera but when he returned the seal
      was no longer there. However, a passer by said they saw the seal swim
      further up river. The sighting occurred about an hour before high
      tide.

      This is particualrly interesting as seals do not usually seem to swim
      further up the Adur than the Norfolk bridge (just south of where the
      seal was spotted). We do however receive reports of seals several
      miles up the River Ouse and the River Arun. Now that common seals are
      a biodiversity action plan species, sightings are even more important.

      Steve Savage