Rhizostoma in North Devon

  • DOUGLAS HERDSON
    Message 1 of 1 , 13 May 02:28
      Dear All

      A large Rhizostoma octopus has been washed up on a North Devon beach.  I was contacted by SW News Service, but apart from the identification the Mail does not appear to have taken much notice of what I said. Here is the online version http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1180558/Pictured-The-giant-jellyfish-washed-Devon--big-make-wobbly.html; the print version on Tuesday was shorter and a bit more accurate.

      These turn up in low numbers most years in July and August, but in 2002 they were common in May and carried on to October; mainly on the south coast and south west but extending up to Merseyside.  A good summer for leatherback turtles?

      regards, Doug

      Doug Herdson
      Marine Fish Information Services
      94 Dunstone View