Re: [Glaucus] Amphipods on northeast beaches

  • Chris Whitehead
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2009
      Here are two photos of the amphipods still being washed up at Whitby in their thousands..

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/37651649@N06/3549357621/in/photostream/

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/37651649@N06/3550162662/in/photostream/

      Chris W

      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2009
        I reckoned the images to be of hyperiid amphipods, confirmed by David Conway at the Marine Biological Association who also drew my attention to an article in Nature of a mass stranding on the NE coast in June 1966:

        Nature 215, 100 (01 July 1967); doi:10.1038/215100a0

        Swarming of Hyperiid Amphipods

        J. S. GRAY & R. A. MCHARDY

        Wellcome Marine Laboratory, Robin Hood's Bay, Yorkshire.
        Oceanographic Laboratory, 78 Craighall Road, Edinburgh.

        FOLLOWING a period of moderately strong westerly wind, on June 26, 1966, the beaches of Robin Hood's Bay, Filey, and Sandsend, Yorkshire (extending for about 40 km of coastline), were turned white by a covering of vast numbers of hyperiid amphipods.

        I do not have ready access to the journal at the moment but there might be more on reasons and species identification in it.

        Keith Hiscock

        > I tried to send this to the yahoo group, but I can't seem to get it to
        > work. In response to a message posted on 21 April about a "sandhopper
        > holocaust". I was at Redcar beach on 16 May and there were millions of
        > amphipods washing up all along the beach - also at Saltburn, 5 miles
        > away. According to the locals, this has been going on for weeks. At
        > first I thought there'd been a mass sandhopper die-off, but some of the
        > ones I scooped up from the strandline were still alive and they weren't
        > sandhoppers. They were pelagic amphipods, sort of krill-equivalents
        > and, judging by the number washing up there must be billions of them in
        > the North Sea. That suggests there will be something feeding on them,
        > so I wondered if there had been any interesting fish landings recently
        > and even if there was any connection between this event and the Rays
        > bream that were turning up here over the winter.
        >

        > Cheers
        >

        > Peter Tinsley
        >

        > KestrelCam is live!
        > http://www.dorsetwi ldlife.co. uk/kestrelcam. htmlfrom our Lorton Meadows
        > nature reserve. See the nesting season unfold.
        > http://www.facebook .com/people/ Dorset-Wildlife- Trust/1177906660
        > Become a http://www.facebook .com/people/ Dorset-Wildlife- Trust/1177906660
        > of Dorset Wildlife Trust
        > Registered Charity No. 200222

        Entertainment, news, celebrity gossip and more - http://www.tiscali.co.uk
      • Chris Whitehead
        Message 3 of 5 , May 21, 2009
          Regarding the fact that these amphipods also washed up in huge numbers in 1966, wasn't that one of the years Ray's Bream also became stranded on the NE coast, as indeed they did again this Winter?

          > I tried to send this to the yahoo group, but I can't seem to get it to
          > work. In response to a message posted on 21 April about a "sandhopper
          > holocaust". I was at Redcar beach on 16 May and there were millions of
          > amphipods washing up all along the beach - also at Saltburn, 5 miles
          > away. According to the locals, this has been going on for weeks. At
          > first I thought there'd been a mass sandhopper die-off, but some of the
          > ones I scooped up from the strandline were still alive and they weren't
          > sandhoppers. They were pelagic amphipods, sort of krill-equivalents
          > and, judging by the number washing up there must be billions of them in
          > the North Sea. That suggests there will be something feeding on them,
          > so I wondered if there had been any interesting fish landings recently
          > and even if there was any connection between this event and the Rays
          > bream that were turning up here over the winter.
          >

          > Cheers
          >

          > Peter Tinsley
          >

          > KestrelCam is live!
          > http://www.dorsetwi ldlife.co. uk/kestrelcam. htmlfrom our Lorton Meadows
          > nature reserve. See the nesting season unfold.
          > http://www.facebook .com/people/ Dorset-Wildlife- Trust/1177906660
          > Become a http://www.facebook .com/people/ Dorset-Wildlife- Trust/1177906660
          > of Dorset Wildlife Trust
          > Registered Charity No. 200222

          Entertainment, news, celebrity gossip and more - http://www.tiscali co.uk

        • Declan Quigley
          Message 4 of 5 , May 21, 2009
            Hello Chris,

            Wyn Wheeler recorded most of his Ray's Bream records from UK waters during the period 1966 to 1971 as follows:

            1966 12
            1967 >70
            1968 12
            1969 >100
            1970 54
            1971 27

            The species was also frequently recorded from Irish waters during the 1960s, 1970s and up to 1980, with peak numbers in 1973 (>80) and 1980 (>50). The were very few records subsequently during the 1980s and 1990s but large numbers have been landed by commercial long-liners over the last decade (see attached).

            Regards,

            Declan