Re: [Glaucus] Amphipods on northeast beaches

  • Declan Quigley
    Message 1 of 5 , May 21, 2009
      Hello Chris,

      Wyn Wheeler recorded most of his Ray's Bream records from UK waters during the period 1966 to 1971 as follows:

      1966 12
      1967 >70
      1968 12
      1969 >100
      1970 54
      1971 27

      The species was also frequently recorded from Irish waters during the 1960s, 1970s and up to 1980, with peak numbers in 1973 (>80) and 1980 (>50). The were very few records subsequently during the 1980s and 1990s but large numbers have been landed by commercial long-liners over the last decade (see attached).

      Regards,

      Declan

      From: keith.hiscock@... <keith.hiscock@...>
      To: Glaucus@...
      Date: Thursday, 21 May, 2009, 1:44 PM

      I reckoned the images to be of hyperiid amphipods, confirmed by David Conway at the Marine Biological Association who also drew my attention to an article in Nature of a mass stranding on the NE coast in June 1966:

      Nature 215, 100 (01 July 1967); doi:10.1038/ 215100a0

      Swarming of Hyperiid Amphipods

      J. S. GRAY & R. A. MCHARDY

      Wellcome Marine Laboratory, Robin Hood's Bay, Yorkshire.
      Oceanographic Laboratory, 78 Craighall Road, Edinburgh.

      FOLLOWING a period of moderately strong westerly wind, on June 26, 1966, the beaches of Robin Hood's Bay, Filey, and Sandsend, Yorkshire (extending for about 40 km of coastline), were turned white by a covering of vast numbers of hyperiid amphipods.

      I do not have ready access to the journal at the moment but there might be more on reasons and species identification in it.

      Keith Hiscock

      From: Andy Horton <Glaucus@hotmail. com>
      Subject: [Glaucus] Amphipods on northeast beaches
      To: "GLAUCUS" <Glaucus@yahoogroups .co.uk>