9378Re: Savarez KFA drones

  • admiralprune
    Aug 28, 2013
      Thanks for the explanation;

      it's nothing to do with being unhappy about the HG & it's sound which is not a problem, just curious about the theories & practices as to how the instrument works.
      Books give only so much & can miss the minutae that can make a difference, such as your discovery.
      That's why this forum is a goldmine of information.

      --- In HurdyGurdyForum@..., Neil Brook <nwbrook@...> wrote:

      > It's not just abrasion which admittedly helps the cotton to stay put. My theory is that by removing the ridges caused by the wire windings, you reduce the weight of the string meaning less tension for a given pitch . You also arguably make the string more flexible and you definitely reduce the air resistance.
      >
      > You sound to be less than happy with your gurdy sound , please do make the effort to achieve at least a sweetness of tone .The skills needed will only come with experience . Poorly set up hurdy-gurdies will always sound bad and do nothing to enhance the reputation of the instrument.
      > On 23 Aug 2013, at 10:15, admiralprune wrote:
      >

      > > Thanks for the discovery but there is a question - I admit to being recent to playing (abusing??) HG's.
      > >
      > > Why abrade "the length of the Savarez" instead of just the part around the area against the wheel ?
      > >
      > > --- In HurdyGurdyForum@..., "gurdymaker" <hurdygurdy@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all.
      > > >
      > > > I just had a bit of a breakthrough I'd like to share. The Savarez KFA drones are generally trouble free but occasionally they can go into a nasty harmonic vibration which seems to be around the pitch of the string when plucked ( the sounding length from wheel to ear ) . Changing diameter or pitch does not seem to cure it.
      > > >
      > > > I used to use Pirastro Aricore cello C and G for drones and these always behave perfectly but their price has rocketed lately and at around £100 for two strings, I settled on the Savarez.
      > > >

      > > > The Aricore strings are tape wound so have a smooth outer surface. By running a fold of 400 grit wet & dry paper along the length of the Savarez, I achieved a fairly smooth surface and the string behaves much more reliably. I have repeated the process on 3 gurdies and the improvement has been the same every time.
      > > >
      > > > Cheers
      > > > Neil
      > > >

      > Best regards
      >
      > Neil Brook