9525Re: [HurdyGurdyForum] Barking too loud

  • arle_lommel
    Apr 18, 2014
      Thanks, Neil. I didn't know about the Blutack and coin trick. I'll try that out. I still need to make a new bridge, but that's might help until I get a bridge I'm satisfied with, and shifting to a lighter string might be enough in and of itself. I should have thought of that long ago. It's totally obvious when you mention it since a lighter string will have less force at the same pitch than a heavier one. I guess sometimes it pays to sit and think for a few minutes ;-)

      I'll have to find a local source for a lighter string, or do you sell those too? (I got one of your Wonder Strings a few years back for my d' and love it.)

      -Arle

      ---In HurdyGurdyForum@..., <nwbrook@...> wrote :

      Up to a point, you can remove mass from the dog to quieten it. Removing it from the foot end is more effective. There comes a point when you have made it too flexible which acts as a shock absorber and kills it. If the lightest dog is still too strong, it's time to put a lighter string on. My standard for c/ d is 0.9 mm perlon but 0.8 is a lot quieter -and more responsive.
      The quick fix is to mute the soundboard by temporarily sticking a weight with Blutack near the foot . Coins work well and give a range of weights.
      Cheers
      Neil

      On 17 Apr 2014, at 11:26, <arle.lommel@...> wrote:

      I've been having some trouble with the dog on my instrument (a Balázs Nagy guitar-bodied French-style gurdy). Balázs’ instruments have quite loud buzzing bridges and, in this case, the pressure on the wheel is too high, which results in me needing to back the tirant all the way off and still having a bit too aggressive of a buzz. So I am in the process of making some new dogs that will situate the string with a bit less pressure.

      While I'm at it, though, I'd like to make a quieter dog. So does anyone have any hints on how to construct a dog to make it quieter? I've not made enough yet to have a grasp on how the mass of the dog, the size of the hammer, etc. impact the sound. So any quick guidance?

      Best,
      Arle

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic