9647Re: [HurdyGurdyForum] Hurdy Gurdy Workshops in Lissberg (Germany)

  • andycarter
    Jan 15, 2015
      And jolly good it is too! It's an intimate little festival I find reminiscent of the Youlgreave gurdyfests. The Germans are great fun to get along with, and love the idea of international visitors.

      Questions I had before my first visit could be answered by the following :-

      Camping space is available for tents or motorhomes onsite in the shadow of the berg but there are also B&Bs within a few miles. The classes are split between the berg and a school 15 minutes walk away.

      Cliff's and Nicholas's workshops are delivered in English, the others are mainly in German though I think all the tutors have some English. I worked with Alex last year, written music and demos are obviously international, and I found asking for a personal summary at the end of each burst of German worked well and didn't disrupt the class too much.

      German bottled beer is available for purchase in the evenings, wine & other drinks can be bought at shops in the town a few miles away as can takeaway and cook-your-own food. There is a small shop in the village but opening times seemed variable. There is no pub in the village but there is a family run restaurant where schnitzel will be enjoyed with fellow gurdyists!

      I will be travelling by Gurdybus via North Sea ferry out of Hull to Rotterdam. It's about 300 miles to Lissberg from there. Frankfurt airport is an alternative, Lissberg is about 30 miles from Frankfurt centre.

      If anyone wants to know more, drop Bridget or me a line :-)

      Andy

      Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2