9756Re: [HurdyGurdyForum] Re:: Retro-fitting machine head tuners

  • Neil Brook
    Oct 20, 2015
      You may well find they screw into the taper you have. If not, you either need to get hold of a violin peg reamer if they are too small or if too big, wrap some glued paper - the glued bits of an envelope work well round the thread .
      They are a lot easier to fit than banjo tuners for sure.

      On 20 Oct 2015, at 16:25, Jon bananayogi@... [HurdyGurdyForum] <HurdyGurdyForum@...> wrote:

      it wasn't really a criticism Neil - I'm just not sure that I can justify spending £120 + postage on replacing things that DO actually work, even if I find them irritating!

      However having read Scott's reply, I may be tempted to put a few quid in a jar each week until I've saved up for them.

      How easy are they to fit? By someone other than a luthier? i.e. Me?

      Jon

      On 20 October 2015 at 16:19, Neil Brook nwbrook@... [HurdyGurdyForum] <HurdyGurdyForum@...> wrote:

      I can only apologise for the price of these pegs. the problem is they are custom made for me in relatively small batches . If anyone wants to invest in a few thousand, we could probably do them cheaper !

      On 20 Oct 2015, at 15:56, sklmarshall@... [HurdyGurdyForum] wrote:

      Hi Jon,

      I did this fairly recently on a 4 stringed instrument. I countersunk the friction peg holes and fitted a set of these Schaller B4 Geared Tuning Peg. At £12.99 each + post it was the best price I could find. The main problem is that the shafts are quite short and could really do with being longer for gurdy. In hindsight I think I should have gone for a set of Neil's replacement pegs, but as the holes on this particular instrument were very large I would have had to shim them a lot. Anyway, it has made the instrument really easy to tune. I think on an instrument with slimmer pegs you would have to open out the holes to fit banjo tuners & if Neil's pegs would just drop it might be worth spending the extra for the convenience. (They are very good in use). There are cheaper banjo tuners from China etc, but I have personally found they don't hold the tuning & don't feel positive compared to the German ones.
      Schaller B4 Geared Tuning Peg
      Schaller B4 Geared Tuning Peg. This tuning peg is a nickel plated,precision engineered,5-wheeled planetary geared mechanism with adjustable torque setting via a knurled nut fitted in the pearloid button.
      Preview by Yahoo

      Best regards

      Neil Brook

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic