9771RE: [HurdyGurdyForum] What tuning for E minor?

  • Andy Carter
    Nov 15, 2015

      Hi

      I go for octave tuning because the higher octave adds, I don't know, call it 'colour' to the sound. Almost like changing the waveform on an analogue synth if anyone remembers them.

      It also gives the opportunity to easily switch between an earthy, creaky, 'old', sound with just the lower octave string to something almost violin sounding with just the higher octave string.

      If I had 3 chanterelles I would probably have 2 in unison and an octave one, just for flexibility :-)

      Cheers
      Andy

      Sent from my Xperia M4 Aqua. On O2.

      ---- davesawdon@... [HurdyGurdyForum] wrote ----

      A newbie question:

      What tuning do people suggest for something in E minor?

      I tend to play in G or D so have the Gurdy tuned with unison D chanters, trompette, and tenor drone, and the mouche in either G or A. I went for unison chanters to try to improve the melody balance against the drones, but it seems like many people choose octave tuning - why is that?

      Dave

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic