9773Re: [HurdyGurdyForum] Octave chanter tuning

  • Neil Brook
    Nov 16, 2015
      I would approach the balance issue from the other direction and go for lighter drone strings . The high d chanter will be louder than the octave down though so going octave will also help.
      Play in Em with a standard d/g tuning but raise a drone and trompette to E.
      Cheers
      Neil

      On 16 Nov 2015, at 09:58, Graham Whyte graham@... [HurdyGurdyForum] <HurdyGurdyForum@...> wrote:

      Dave,

      If you use octave tuning you get a gurdy with a choice of three totally different melody voices

      Combine with different drone combinations to produce a wide range of moods

      My favourite is low G chanter with unison G mouche D trompette and no bourdons
      Rich, quiet and incredibly sweet
      I use Just temperament

      Graham

      On 15/11/15 16:29, davesawdon@... [HurdyGurdyForum] wrote:

      A newbie question:

      What tuning do people suggest for something in E minor?

      I tend to play in G or D so have the Gurdy tuned with unison D chanters, trompette, and tenor drone, and the mouche in either G or A. I went for unison chanters to try to improve the melody balance against the drones, but it seems like many people choose octave tuning - why is that?

      Dave

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic